How to lift boat off of trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe, with an Oday 22, like your in that the keel takes most of the weight while on the trailer...I am going to get some of the stuff they use in produce and van trailers to keep forklifts from punching holes in the side. I do not know the name of it...will post it when I do. It is about 3/16th to 1/4 in ch thick and is the hardest plastic I have seen.
I will simply attatch it to the board the keel is on. It will also make it easy to 'slide' the boat up onto the trailer if needed.
Jack
Jack,
I think that's a splendid idea. My late pal Chuck Rothert (Lucky Bum), used Formica on the keel board of his trailer and it seemed to work out OK for him. He had sent me pictures of it when he did it a few years ago. Two weeks ago when I launched my boat at the club, I untied the rope on one side of the boat and got side tracked and forgot to untie the other side. I backed down the ramp and unhooked the winch strap hook and used long lines to pull her off the trailer. Then I put a set of blocks on the line from a cleat on the dock and couldn't figure out what was going on. Two guys came over in a small powerboat and I yelled out to them; "Hey guys, how about giving me a wake so that I can get my boat off this trailer?" The guy said, "OK, but you better untie that rope on the other side of your boat first!" I felt like a gaul-dang dumb-bell! Oh well, that's the way it is when you reach "Geezerdom." I guess it goes with the territory. :redface:
Joe

Jun 19, 2009
2 19 foot Venice, FL
Remove my Boat from my Trailer

I have a Watkinis 23 swing keel sitting on a tandem axle trailer. I just bought the boat a week ago. The trailer is in need of bunk replacement and support repairs. The boat is not sitting straight on the trailer. I believe the watkins site says the boat wieghs 2500 pounds.

How would i go about lifting one side at a time without damaging the boat or myself to replace bunks and make adjustments to them or raise the whole boat? I am new to this so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Barry
I don't have a sailboat but was reading about your question. I am not sure if you have a bow eye or not but if you do and it is factory or professionally installed you may want to look at www.portableboatlift.com. I would use it in conjuntion with boat stands manufactured by Brownell.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I don't have a sailboat but was reading about your question. I am not sure if you have a bow eye or not but if you do and it is factory or professionally installed you may want to look at www.portableboatlift.com. I would use it in conjuntion with boat stands manufactured by Brownell.
I think that something like that would be great for raising a sailboat if you can use it to raise the boat under the hull just in front of the keel. 2500 Lbs is a little too heavy for the bow eye on Gary's boat. I love the design of this rig though. It seems so compact and easy to stow when you're not using it.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.