H34 minor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Hello,
This frigid air has inhibited my boat refurbishment activities. I would like to bring up two issues that need attention, and are not outside work. The engine panel and the cockpit instruments on the bulkhead. What have others done to repair/replace/refurbish these items?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I found mine had cracked on the corner because the kill switch had become hard to pull. As part of the whole fix job- pulling the cable and lubing it- I moved the pull handle over to a location off the left side of the panel onto solid fiberglass. Then I patched the hole by siliconing a piece of black plastic 1/8 sheet over the hole left in the panel and put a washer over the corner hole that had cracked. Moving the pull switch is the best solution to the poor old panel cracking as it will sooner or later

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
I found mine had cracked on the corner because the kill switch had become hard to pull. As part of the whole fix job- pulling the cable and lubing it- I moved the pull handle over to a location off the left side of the panel onto solid fiberglass. Then I patched the hole by siliconing a piece of black plastic 1/8 sheet over the hole left in the panel and put a washer over the corner hole that had cracked. Moving the pull switch is the best solution to the poor old panel cracking as it will sooner or later
I am thinking of making a duplicate panel out of starboard...Then just mounting all the lights,buzzer and key switch to it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. That is only the panel board .. no switches/tach/lights..etc..

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Yup.. That is only the panel board .. no switches/tach/lights..etc..
Manufacturer: Yanmar
Part Number: 128170-91010</B>
Description:
Panel Housing

Panel Dimensions: 5 3/8" X 10 7/8"
Our price: $28.50 - each

FWIW, If price is indeed as posted, I really don't think doing your own in starboard is worth it, time or money wise : you have to buy the material and then precisely measure everything to cut the various holes. I replaced mine a few years ago and price has not changed all that much.

Last edited:

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I need to refurbish my engine instrument panel also. Instead of moving the pull handle, would it be possible to reinforce that area on a new panel?
The bulkhead instruments need refurbishment, but I think the manufacturer is now defunct. What have others done about the bulkhead cockpit instruments?
I should be getting a 3-blade propeller in a couple weeks. I hope it works well.
I plan to install a 3/4" through-hull & valve aft to supply raw water requirements. I am thinking of using the existing 1/2" raw water intake for deck washdown.

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 31 Georgetown, MD
Splax,
That is exactly what I did last spring. I bought a new panel, transferred the buzzer, tach, switches, etc. I reinforced the backside of the NEW stop cable with a stainless fender washer ground to fit the area. I think the total was under $80 and it was well worth it!

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
propeller

Well, I got the three blade Campbell Sailer propeller today. I am not comfortable with the leading edge lip design, but I hear it works and that is what is important. It seems they induce turbulent flow across the low pressure surface to impede cavitation and impart a larger effective profile. I suppose the low speed application and available excess power make this appropriate. I hope to see good results.

Last edited:

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
prop finish

I painted the propeller with the zinc primer from the auto parts store. It has a rough finish. If I paint it with West to give it a smooth surface, do you think that will negate the zinc anti-fouling?

Last edited:

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
raw water hose

Well, today I trimmed wood behind the engine to allow installation of the new hose. The first picture shows bronze 45 and fitting installed inplace of the stubby plastic piece of fitting that was there. There is not enough clearance to allow the hose to the fitting. The second picture shows the hose installed with the wood cut away. It isn't pretty, but will be serviceable.

Attachments

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Today I excavated the deteriorated wood sole near the companionway where it leaks. I want to install a grate to allow water to drain to the bilge until I figure out how to fix the leak. The teak & holly plywood sits on fiberglass here, and the bilge is open at the corner of the removed wood. Suggestions??

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I am presuming you are not too worried about aesthetics here as it is temporary? I would fashion a kind of a dish shaped scoop out of resin and cloth with a drain in the corner to the bilge. You would have to check it to make sure that the hole doesn't get plugged. I would coat the fiberglass under it with grease so the new glass doesn't adhere to the old and you will be able to remove it when you make a permanent fix.

Meantime, take a coat hanger to that starboard side drain channel and try to unplug it.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I am presuming you are not too worried about aesthetics here as it is temporary? I would fashion a kind of a dish shaped scoop out of resin and cloth with a drain in the corner to the bilge. You would have to check it to make sure that the hole doesn't get plugged. I would coat the fiberglass under it with grease so the new glass doesn't adhere to the old and you will be able to remove it when you make a permanent fix.

Meantime, take a coat hanger to that starboard side drain channel and try to unplug it.
You mean the drain channel on the slider? If that is the issue, easy fix - I'm on it. I figure to put a permanent drain there in the cabin sole though, since the bilge acess is there. That will make clean up easier.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
bumper replacement

I ordered a package of 50 17/32" high bumpers from Mcmaster Carr. The cost is 9.73 + shipping. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.