Engine Stop Cable

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
I ordered a replacement from torreson marine...there were two lenghts, I needed the longer one. fit perfectly and mounted easily on the bracket in the cockpit. I had previously tried a generic cable and had problems. now life is good and it wasn't that expensive..around 50-60bucks. pulling the cable through wasn't hard...just be sure an attach twine to the old cable at the engine end so when you pull it out, you can use the twine to pull the new cable back through.
Thanks will look into it

ttac

Aug 9, 2010
Hunter Passage 42 Kemah, TX
On our 91 Passage the cable has been replaced and relocated in the cabin right inside the companion way! It can be grabbed from the cockpit with out going down below!

Oct 29, 2009
Hunter 42 Passage Daytona Beach
My cable went bad last year, couldn't shut down the engine. So while ordering a cable I was told a story by a seasoned sailor about his friend who was single handing his boat down the intercoastal when his throttle cable became disconnected at cruising speed. His kill cable was below deck and he couldn't leave the helm to shut it down. So, I bought the longest cable they had from Yanmar and installed it to the instrument cluster. Easy to do and now no worries about a runaway engine. Anyway, the hard part is that the connection point to the engine is on the backside of the engine and took hours and skinned knuckles to get it hooked up. I am not skinny enough to crawl in over the top of the engine. Wasn't sure if I was ever going to get it done, luckily, I have no generator over the top of the engine so was able, using some profanity, to get it connected. I did succeed but never want to do that again.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Cool, I think the issue with installing it on the panel and that as time goes by, particularly with longer cables involving more convoluted routing, over time it takes more force to push and pull the cable. This eventually takes its toll on the plastic panel. I would venture that 90% of replacement instrument panels are necessitated by the kill cable. That's why I relocated and shortened mine. And my instrument panel is 1/4" starboard.

Jan 1, 2014
So - I am back to actually replacing the stop cable. I originally determined at the beginning of the season that the cable was somehow pinching and that is why it would not pull easily - not corrosion. So thought I anchored it well enough; however, a month ago - problems - then cable broke - so back to replacing it. Cant wait to lay on top of the engine and bruise chest and ribs :-(

Jan 1, 2014
I ordered a new Stop cable - yanmar. What I found in the process of pulling the old cable to be sure I had the correct length - is not a corrosion issue. The cable was binding back near the step as it made a turn to go into the engine compartment. Pretty sure when I reinstall the cable - I am going to need to find a better way to secure the cable inside the compartment.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
I ordered a new Stop cable - yanmar. What I found in the process of pulling the old cable to be sure I had the correct length - is not a corrosion issue. The cable was binding back near the step as it made a turn to go into the engine compartment. Pretty sure when I reinstall the cable - I am going to need to find a better way to secure the cable inside the compartment.
Hi Puesta,
I had the same problem that you are encountering. I also ordered a Yanmar cable, and it is still sitting unused in my spare parts locker. It seemed to me that the braided metal structure of the cable is quite poorly designed for the "push" in a push-pull operation. Instead, I installed a high quality teflon-coated teleflex cable. The interior cable is a single strand of stainless steel that slides inside the cable housing. It operates much more smoothly and is designed precisely for a push-pull operation. It wasn't too expensive and has served me well now for over fifteen years. I think there might be additional comments on the installation of it if you perform a search for my boat name and "engine stop cable" or something similar.

Good luck,
Paul

Jan 1, 2014
I will take a look at a different cable you make a good point. I am not to excited about having to feed the cable back through the connection at the engine. Reaching the other side of the engine is a bear.

Appreciate the information. I am trying to reach out to a number of passage owners to see what changes they have made to their's - what repairs / replacements made etc. Appreciate all your posts and responses.

Thanks,

Keith Walter

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hunter 34: I asked my marine technician about converting from a cable stop to solenoid. He recommended I put a new cable in as they are very durable and reliable, and under the premise that simplicity is best, if I have no power I can still kill the engine from the cockpit if single handed without going below.

Jan 1, 2014
I thought of changing to power - decided against it - just for that reason. The manual cable is likely the original and lasted 25+ years and if I had explored the issue I was having with the cable working properly before I broke it it would have gone for many more.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Many cables are the 3300 series cables offered in various lengths thru various sources and I bet the forum store will kknow the length. When a cable is frozen, water is able to seep down within the case and in most cases has to be replaced. If you can cover the stop that will help tremendously. If replacing cables thru the steering quadrants can be difficult. I use to remove the ends on both sides of the cable and insert thru a small tube that will go the length of the quadrant making fishing that cable a lot easier thru the quadrant..