Engine Stop Cable

Sep 2, 2013
Hunter 38 Slidell LA.
My engine kill cable finally froze up. I have attempted to replace without any luck yet i.e. to long, too short etc. would like to know if any H-38 owners hade/have the same problem. Thinking about an electric 12V kill also. Your thoughts!!!

EA

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Electric

My engine kill cable finally froze up. I have attempted to replace without any luck yet i.e. to long, too short etc. would like to know if any H-38 owners hade/have the same problem. Thinking about an electric 12V kill also. Your thoughts!!!

EA
By far a better solution.
Check with Yanmar for a retrofit.
Impervious to salt, unlike cable

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Electronic kill switch?? I make sure our kill cable gets lubed every year.

Tell me more about the electronic switch.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Simple

Electronic kill switch?? I make sure our kill cable gets lubed every year.

Tell me more about the electronic switch.
It's just a 12v solenoid that pulls the stop lever. It is connected to a push button on the engine panel .
Frankly, its easier to install this than a pull cable. Extremely reliable

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
About $50 -$75

It's just a 12v solenoid that pulls the stop lever. It is connected to a push button on the engine panel .
Frankly, its easier to install this than a pull cable. Extremely reliable
Just checked on ebay.
Various models.
Just search for "Yanmar stop solenoid"

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Errol...

The stop cable froze on my H34 a couple of years ago. In all probability your problem is at the control panel end like mine.

I got it unfrozen by repeated applications of WD-40 to the shaft behind the knob, and giggling the pull knob in and out each time to work it down the shaft of the panel end. Eventually it began to work loose until it was completely free.

Disconnecting the stop lever end at the engine makes it easier to move the cable more then normal. Just don't pull it so far out that the stop lever end gets hung up in the cable sheath.

Sep 2, 2013
Hunter 38 Slidell LA.
Frozen

Thanks for the Reply.

The day I surveyed the vessel she had a frozen Kill switch. I freed it using WD 40 and have kept it that way for 11 years. Now the Cable is frozen and won't come free. I removed it and am looking for a replacement.

The stop cable froze on my H34 a couple of years ago. In all probability your problem is at the control panel end like mine.

I got it unfrozen by repeated applications of WD-40 to the shaft behind the knob, and giggling the pull knob in and out each time to work it down the shaft of the panel end. Eventually it began to work loose until it was completely free.

Disconnecting the stop lever end at the engine makes it easier to move the cable more then normal. Just don't pull it so far out that the stop lever end gets hung up in the cable sheath.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Why replace the cable?

Thanks for the Reply.

The day I surveyed the vessel she had a frozen Kill switch. I freed it using WD 40 and have kept it that way for 11 years. Now the Cable is frozen and won't come free. I removed it and am looking for a replacement.
Just use the electric stop. Easier & cheaper.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yanmar carries just two length sizes to fit most size and makes of sailboats. If you need to use the longer one just make sure you loop or give some extra bends to take up the excess. Trying to shop around for a cable that would best fit your boat is just an unnecesary hasle. Another option might be to relocate the cable stop within the cabin to keep it away from the elements in which case the shorter cable may do. You ask abou converting to an electric stop solenoid and my opinion is that I would stick with whatever the boat came with. The cable is simpler, does the job well and should last at least 10 years.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Is there something special about this cable? When I was looking to replace mine [eventually just moved it for a more direct run and shortened it accordingly] I looked at stainless choke cables. Seems like both the outer sheathing and inner cable can be cut to size.

Apr 5, 2011
Hunter 34 Tilghman Island, Md
Nothing special that I know of. I just replaced miine. I used a yanmar cable, they are not expensive.

Sep 2, 2013
Hunter 38 Slidell LA.
Nothing special that I know of. I just replaced miine. I used a yanmar cable, they are not expensive.
Yanmar does not offer a 17 ft. cable (both ends need to be threaded) Hunter 380 kill runs from under the Cockpit Seat to the engine in Galley.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
I used a Teflon coated Teleflex "cable" on my Passage 42 when I replaced my engine stop cable. The Yanmar cables (of my 1991 vintage) were made of woven strands, and the "push" part of the push-pull just ended up mashing the cable interior. The Teleflex is a single strand solid stainless-steel wire inside the sheath, and the push-pull doesn't cause the cable to mushroom. You can cut it to length. I'm now going on 15 years since the replacement and it slides like new. Never had to lubricate it.

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Paul

Where did you get the cable for the passage? I have a 91 and would like he cable to love easier. When you replaced yours did you replace the sleeve as well as the cable? If so how hard was it to fish the new cable?

Thanks

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Paul

Where did you get the cable for the passage? I have a 91 and would like he cable to love easier. When you replaced yours did you replace the sleeve as well as the cable? If so how hard was it to fish the new cable?

Thanks
Sorry, but it's been so long ago I can't remember where I got it. Most likely at some marine engine supply shop, like Bosun's Locker or something. I did install a new sleeve, as it's all one unit: both cable and sleeve. As I recall it wasn't too hard to fish it through--just a short job. Good luck

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
This could start a debate, but I find that PB Blaster is more effective in freeing frozen cables and other rusted components. Just my two cents.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Nothing wrong with too long in the operation of stop cable. The best preventive to avoid a frozen cable is frequent use.

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
I ordered a replacement from torreson marine...there were two lenghts, I needed the longer one. fit perfectly and mounted easily on the bracket in the cockpit. I had previously tried a generic cable and had problems. now life is good and it wasn't that expensive..around 50-60bucks. pulling the cable through wasn't hard...just be sure an attach twine to the old cable at the engine end so when you pull it out, you can use the twine to pull the new cable back through.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Having already moved my cable pull off the instrument panel and from port to starboard where the run is shorter and more direct, not sure I'd go electric unless the conversion were cheap and easy. I did the recommended ebay search but what I saw are replacements for existing electric kill switches. Did anyone make the conversion and if so, which unit did you use?