Ammeter Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
I did realize in my last post when I said if you pull 100 amps from a 100 Ah hour battery it would be dead. I meant to say "for an hour" so yes I was wrong on that. I will do some checking as I still do not agree with MS's math

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I did realize in my last post when I said if you pull 100 amps from a 100 Ah hour battery it would be dead. I meant to say "for an hour" so yes I was wrong on that. I will do some checking as I still do not agree with MS's math
Try looking at it this way:
you can use a one horse power motor for an hour or
a sixty horse power motor for one minute or
a 3600 horse power motor for one second and consume the same amount of energy and do the same amount of work.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
As you go through an exercise like this it is important to remember what one is looking for. In this case what we are looking for is:

How many amps were consumed in starting the motor?

The answer tells us how many amps need to be replenished.

Charles

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
"We don't reference removing amps per-SE from the battery we remove amp hours" this is not correct amp hours are not a unit of power, amps and watts are but not amp hours.

This is precisely why I said "we don't reference removing amps per-SE". Amps is the unit of power just like watts or kilowatts but Ah's or watt hours or kWh/kilowatt hours are not the unit of power but what results from time at a given amperage, wattage etc... Of course you responded before I had a chance to clarify that statement, and make it clearer, while you were responding.

For now we are stuck with Ah's as a point of reference because that is how all deep cycle batteries are rated, in Ah's, and how all battery monitors display what has been used, in Ah's. The count amps and translate that into Ah's consumed. In other words we don't say I removed 4A from my battery bank you'd convert it to a time based unit and say we removed 4 Ah's... This is why my original statement used Ah's a the measure of capacity removed not amperes.

We remove X amp over Y time but we do not remove Z Ah. you go on to say this yourself ""Ah's are not amps they are amps X time to arrive at Ah's..." Correct but because that time is short is does not decrease the amps used.
This is why from the beginning of this hair splitting event I have said .5Ah, not .5A, and at 286A for .75 seconds it removes peanuts in Ah's..

Amp hours is a unit of measurement used to determine the useful life of a battery, IE a 10 Ah battery can provide 10 amps for one hour but that is not a unit of power. Amps is the unit of power and the time is whatever time used.
I am fully aware of that and have been saying that from the very beginning.

"1A for any fraction of an hour is not 1 amp hour" not completely correct
If you don't burn the 1A load for 1 hour, and burn it for less than an hour, then you've not used 1Ah. Please show me the math where this is an incorrect statement. I've shown you the math..

but if you only use 1 amp in an hour it is 1 Ah as you have said. If you use more amps then the Ah used will change based on the total amps used in that hour.
Yep simple stuff...

I think the confusion here is you are using amp hour as a unit of energy which it is not.
I am not using Ah's as a unit of energy, though you've certainly tried to twist it as such, I am using it as a unit of measurement.

You do not remove amp hours from a battery you remove amps over a period of time which then becomes amp hours. You say this yourself "Amp hours are simply a reflection of the current (amps) used and for how much of an hour."
Yes....Simple stuff..

You said "1 amp for 1 hour = 1 amp hour" so with that 10 amps for an hour = 10 Ah and 100 amps for an hour = 100 amp hours so 286 amps in an hour = 286 Ah.
Now you're getting it. Now try doing fractions of an hour...

1A for 30 minutes = .5Ah
286A for .75 seconds = 0.06Ah's

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Amp hours is a measure of storage capacity. 0.5 Ah is a measure of the capacity used.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
I do not even want to suggest using ct's to measure the current draw.... :-0

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Here's another example: in your house, you have an electric meter (in many jurisdictions they are now "Smart Meters"). They measure kilowatt hours. How many kilowatts used for HOW LONG.

Indeed, if you get "into" the algorithms for all of the battery monitors, they actually use kwhrs and simply convert it to amp hours. That's what the manual for my Link 2000 says, in English, but in the fine print. :):):)

Hope this example helps you to understand.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The engineer in me has to say that AH is technically not a unit of energy. You will remember from electrical engineering that Power is volts times amps and energy is power times time so energy is also volts times amps times time (E=V*A*t) But since we are always only talking about 12 volt systems it has become convention to just drop the "times 12" from all the equations where we use batteries. Makes it a lot easier to not have to specify a fully charged or partially charged ....... battery voltage. And the simplification is not that inaccurate since the difference between a fully charged and half charged battery is only around 1 volt
So to be clear 1 AH for a 12 volt battery = 1/2 AH for a 24 volt battery
same amount of energy in each amp hour but a materially different voltage so you have to account for it.
FWIW

Feb 26, 2004
The Link 2000 manual includes this:

"One amp hour is (1) amp for one hour, or 2 amps for 1/2 hour, or 4 amps for 1/4 hour and so on."

This is simply a measurement compared to the battery storage quantity of the USE of power over a period of time.

Seems something this simple shouldn't be rocket science. Werner, Werner, vere iss Herr Von Braun when we need him??? :):):)

Jun 6, 2006
Leave it to wikipeida to make it misleading:
1 Ah = 3600 seconds * 1 amp = 60 minutes * 1 amp = 1 hour * 1 amp
to calculate the Ah if you are given seconds of time you do not multiply by 3600 you divide by 3600.
That is to say that since there are 3600 seconds/hour if you have 1 second you express that at 1/3600 hours NOT 3600 hours like wikipeida would lead you to believe upon a casual glance at the equation they quote. The equation is not incorrect it is just stating what an Ah is in seconds (which is TOTALLY dumb if you ask me).

Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, that seconds into minutes and hour conversion is really difficult. :):):)

Feb 6, 1998
So I say if anyone can show me some documentation that says i am wrong I am more then happy to review it and I will humbly apologize. but I did go to school for this stuff so I do not think I need the T shirt but maybe it is still needed.

Nigel Calder Boatowners Mechanical & Electrical Manual Second Edition

Page 9 - Explains it well

Page 45 - Calder comes to the identical math I do in discussing high load battery testing using the starter motor:

Nigel Calder

"To avoid over heating of the stater motor during when simulating a high-load test, cranking should in no circumstances be continued for more than 30 seconds...............

High-load testing takes very little out of a battery. As I pointed out in chapter 1, even if the starter motor is pulling 400 amps, at 15 seconds this amounts to a total of only 1.66 amp-hours. 400 / (4 X 60) = 1.66 amp-hours"

400 X 0.00416 (15 seconds) = 1.66 Ah

or

400 X 0.00055 (2 seconds) = 0.2 Ah

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
To continue to beat this deceased equine thingie.. Bill and Stu are exactly right! It may be easier to convert to watt hours which is really a measure of how much energy is stored in the black box we call a battery. A 100 ampere hour battery at 12 volts has the capability to produce 1200 watt hours.. (10 amperes at 12V for 10 hours)
286 amperes at 12 V is 3432 watts.. so if it takes 5 seconds to crank, you've used :
5/3600hr X 3432watts = 4.9 watt hours out of the 1200 you had in the box. That is 0.41% of the stored power that you had in the box (battery) to start with. To replace it you have to generate 4.9 watt hours.. (plus a little for inefficiencies) so if your alternator puts out say 20 amperes at 14 volts, that is 280 watts.. so it can replace the 4.9 watt hours by running 0.0175 hours (4.9watt hours/280watts) or 63 seconds .. At 40 amperes output, the alternator would take 31.5 seconds.. to make 4.9 watt hours.
Maine's math is correct since it all hangs on a fixed conversion number ..

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
To continue to beat this deceased equine thingie.. Bill and Stu are exactly right! It may be easier to convert to watt hours which is really a measure of how much energy is stored in the black box we call a battery. A 100 ampere hour battery at 12 volts has the capability to produce 1200 watt hours.. (10 amperes at 12V for 10 hours)
286 amperes at 12 V is 3432 watts.. so if it takes 5 seconds to crank, you've used :
5/3600hr X 3432watts = 4.9 watt hours out of the 1200 you had in the box. That is 0.41% of the stored power that you had in the box (battery) to start with. To replace it you have to generate 4.9 watt hours.. (plus a little for inefficiencies) so if your alternator puts out say 20 amperes at 14 volts, that is 280 watts.. so it can replace the 4.9 watt hours by running 0.0175 hours (4.9watt hours/280watts) or 63 seconds .. At 40 amperes output, the alternator would take 31.5 seconds.. to make 4.9 watt hours.
Maine's math is correct since it all hangs on a fixed conversion number ..
Watt hours would be easier, IMHO, but the battery manufacturers, and battery monitor makers have clung to Ah's...

Nov 6, 2006
Certainly, but it sounded to me like Wayne was hung up on the fact that ampere hours is not a real term for power .. and indeed, my old EE prof friend would always cringe when I used ah as a power term.. but because of the 12 v constant (almost) it is the convention from which we work. Just trying another angle to get the terms across. Your videos of the cranking current and the battery monitor are great !

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Ah even finds its way down to AAA cells but then it is milliampere hours.

Nov 6, 2006
Lol Exactly, Ross.. again very useful because of the almost fixed volts characteristic of modern cells..

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
What time is it? Well, you start by making a metal case, get some gears and a spring or two and you build a watch.....

Jun 6, 2006
Unfortunately the use of watt hours is not more helpful as you HAVE to account for the voltage which is now a variable.
so if I use a pressure water pump for 1 minute (=1/60 hours) and it consumes 5 amps at 13.6 volts or 4.7 amps at 14.4 volts you get either:
13.6*5.0*1/60 = 1.13 watt hours
or
14.4*4.7*1/60 = 1.13 watt hours
just as you would expect since the power used is the same.

But the assumption of a standard voltage will give incorrect watt hours in all cases as a 12.0 volt battery is pretty discharged and not a very common voltage to operate at when using lead acid batteries. So you need to specify a more accurate "operating voltage" (probably a time averaged one).

So the situation is the same, you get an easier to use formula but it has the same errors. And since everybody else used AH to include the battery manufacturers why change?

Status
Not open for further replies.