zinc "fish"

Jul 21, 2013
Oday 25' tall rig warwick, RI
I have my boat in the water for the winter & I want to put a zinc on it(clip on fish). The batteries are disconnected so were should I attach the wire to on the boat?
HRJ
PS I was told that the other boats around someones boat using electricity is what attacks the metals on other boats & it seems like everyone around my boat has there shore power cable in the water!

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Your "fish" anode needs to be in direct electrical contact with whatever it is intended to protect. Typically, this means attaching it to your prop shaft.

Jul 21, 2013
I have a sail drive so can I put it to a bolt on the inside of the boat attached to the drive?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Sure, why not?

BTW- while it is true that your neighbor's electrical problems could affect your underwater metals, it is not a given, or even particularly common. Rapid anode depletion is usually caused by an issue aboard your own boat.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I don't believe that odays came with galvanic isolators. Adding one would be a good investment.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A number of years back, I was in a dump of a marina and was devouring a set of three shaft zincs per season. I hadn't seen any damage yet but figured if I ever lost all three, I would be open to corrosion.

Like you, I added an overboard zinc plate for safety. After checking the electrical resistance between the engine block and the prop shaft, I was lucky enough to find 0.00 ohms. I figured that meant I could connect a heavy aligator clip from the the block to the wire leading to the fish and get the protection I needed. No need for a direct physical connection to the shaft.

This method relies on ensuring you always have good electrical continuity from the zinc, through the block and finally to the shaft. I have always cleaned the shaft couplings and sprayed with anti-corrosion after each alignment check, so my luck continued.

The set of three shaft zincs fared much better each year (with the zinc plate) until I was able to move to a better marina.

Jul 21, 2013
I went down to my marina last week when it was 2o out & they had de-icers running in the water. Is that a problem? I can check the zincs very easily should I do that weekly?
hanks

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Only a problem if there is a short to ground in the units. Yes check the zincs weekly or read Don Caseys book on electrical work and do the tests with a volt meter to see if you have a ground issue with shorepower.