Zinc blocked by motor mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
Hello, I’m a new owner of a Catalina 310, year 2004. I am learning as much as I can about this boat. This forum has been fantastic. Lots of information. Thanks to all who have written in.

I went to check the zinc in the Heat Exchanger and found that I could not remove it entirely because the motor mount is in the way. Has anyone else had this problem? This is not an issue now since the zinc looks good, but will be when I need to put a new zinc in.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
My 2001 has no interference. Can you rotate the exchanger slightly by loosing the clamps?
Take some Pictures!

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
The HX on my no 149 has/had brackets welded on, which in turn were fastened to the engine. Just recently, the HX came loose and it transpired that it had only been held by one bracket - the other one having disappeared over time. Rather than welding on new brackets, a separate longitudinal bracket has been screwed to the engine, with the HX being attached to the bracket by clamps. The latter allow the HX to be turned and moved sideways. The latter was essential, as, in its original position the hose feeding the raw water into the HX was pressed against the engine mount causing enormous chafe.

When this hose was replaced, it had been chafed almost half thru the wall. Due to the underside location of the chafe, it was not obviously visible.

Last year this hose blew from the back pressure of the salted/blocked up HX inlet and it is now quite clear that it must have chafed thru at the same spot. It nearly cost me the engine.

Moral of the story: When adjusting the HX's position, suggest you check the other (port side) for points of chafe on the cooling hoses.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
The Replacement HX

Not sure if there was an option, but when the original HX sprung a leak on the weld, I tried to get it fixed to only have it immediately fail. The replacement came with the clamps all the way around and I have had no problems with it. For both, FWIW, I never had any problem accessing the zincs.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
HX with Straps

is also about $100.00 cheaper than the one with welded on fittings. Kind of bonus I like.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Last year this hose blew from the back pressure of the salted/blocked up HX inlet and it is now quite clear that it must have chafed thru at the same spot. It nearly cost me the engine.

I keep hearing about people going to radiator shops with their HXs to clean out the tubes. Never had issues with the tubes, but this is THE ONE place everybody should check, 'cuz it's where the salt drops out of the cooling water. Our old 2 inch HX had that port 3/4 of the way CLOSED with salt when we first got out boat. I've upgraded to a 3 inch HX on our M25 (1986) and still have to check that regularly..

Status
Not open for further replies.