Zinc Anodes-Universal 5411, 11 HP, O'Day 28, 1982

vmaks

May 31, 2012
Pearson 31 Suttons Bay
I took a marine diesel engine repair class, entry level class. One of the topics was zinc anodes. I took my owners manual with me to the class to use as a reference so I could see exactly what "my" engine had. For the life of me I can not find an reference pertaining to any kind of a zinc anode, pencil type or any other, on my boat engine or in the manuals or in the search for my boat on the forums. The question...does this engine even have zinc anything? Are zinc anodes only for salt water sailing (probably a dumb question but I am really not "understanding"), we are fresh water sailors in the Great Lakes of Michigan. This particular engine is also a water cooling engine, open system. Help/clarify if you can enlighten me, please.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Mine doesn't have zincs either. Also raw water cooled and used in fresh water. There was an optional fresh water cooling kit available for that engine (mine has one, but the HX cracked so I'm not using it) but I don't think it has a zinc either. Not a problem on fresh water, but a real down side if you're on salt.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
In saltwater use setup with a heat exchanger raw water only flows through the heat exchanger so that is where the zinc is. The engine is filled with antifreeze so no zinc there.