Zinc Anode

facini

Nov 10, 2014
benetau oceanis 2006 393 Croatia
I’m the first year owner of 2006 Beneteau Oceanis 393. According to the serviceman, not only is Zinc Anodes needed for the prop, but he also claims that one is needed on the keel. Since the boat is about 8 years old and I don’t see any evidence that zinc anode on the keel was ever used, is he right that one is needed, or is he trying to sell me something I don’t need? Any comments would be welcome.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
Just on the prop is all you need. What sort of service guy are you dealing with?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I’m the first year owner of 2006 Beneteau Oceanis 393. According to the serviceman, not only is Zinc Anodes needed for the prop, but he also claims that one is needed on the keel. Since the boat is about 8 years old and I don’t see any evidence that zinc anode on the keel was ever used, is he right that one is needed, or is he trying to sell me something I don’t need? Any comments would be welcome.
I have been performing in-water hull cleaning for twenty years. I have never seen an anode on a Beneteau keel.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Ask to see the servicemans certifications. I suspect he has none. Chief

Oct 3, 2014
Beneteau 381 Warwick
You only need an anode where two different metals are in contact, like the bronze propeller and steel shaft. The iron keel isn't usually in contact with another metal.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
You only need an anode where two different metals are in contact, like the bronze propeller and steel shaft. The iron keel isn't usually in contact with another metal.
Well, that's not true either, as galvanic corrosion is not the only form of corrosion from which anodes protect your metals.

facini

Nov 10, 2014
benetau oceanis 2006 393 Croatia
Thanks to all of you that replied to my question.

Since I have seen many sailboats in marina (on dry-dock ) and non of them seems to exhibited zinc anode on the keel, I have to assume that its not needed. Consequently, unless some other compelling information comes forward to change my mind, I will not add zinc anode to the keel either.