Zephyr Sail Drive rebuild kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

Help! My O'day 28 which is a mighty fine boat has an OMC Zephyr Sail Drive which isn't quite so fine. While it is true that it is simple uncomplicated beast it has many, many other not-so-redeeming characteristics. It has an ehaust fumes leak somewhere in it and I have consulted a qualified marine mechanic who is fairly certain that the crank seal is leaking allowing fumes to escape and as a result the engine area has a lot of oil on and around the engine. The mechanic feels that a rebuild would be an appropriate thing to do and I agree. The problem is that he hasn't been able to locate a rebuild kit and is hesitant to pull the engine if he can't find the parts to make it right. Is there a source out there for such kit and is there a source for parts other than the rebuild kit. I read in one of the forum postings that someone replaced his engine with a diesel to the tune of $11,000. A very good idea but a bit steep for me. So I repeat.... HELP!!! Thanks, Desperate in AuGres (Michigan)

B

Bill Coxe

OMC Saildrive Kits

Mike, I also have the Saildrive on my '79 O28 and there is no doubt that parts are hard to get. I was out of commission for over a month last year due to a failed impeller, which required hauling the boat, lifting the powerhead, and taking care of myriad other stuff, like cleaning junk out of water passages and replacing the hose downstream of the muffler, which had separated and was carrying lots of water between the laminations. Crocker's Boat Yard in New London, CT is probably one of the most knowledgeable as far as getting parts. There is also an outfit on the West Coast that marries a Honda 11 or 12hp 4-stroke to a saildrive unit. They can be found at www.saildrive280.com. It comes with a mount that you cut to fit your hull, then fiberglass it in, and the cost is on the order of $6,000.00. All my repairs last year cost me around $700.00 and so far, so good. Good luck. Bill Coxe, O28 Kukulcan, New London, CT

R

Rod Johnson,

Check a Johnson/Evinrude dealer

The OMC Zephyr is basically a "de-tuned" Evinrude/Johnson 35 hp outboard powerhead. So and J/E dealer should be able to order any internal parts for the powerhead. As long as the needed parts are not "Zephyr-specific" they should be available. I think Bombardier still builds this powerhead, so parts must be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.