YSM12 Yanmar Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2004
Cape Dory 30 Ketch Kemah, Texas
I installed a rebuilt YSM 12 in my S2 8.5. It seems to vibrate especially in idle. Is this due to being a one cylinder? I owned several boats but none had a one cylinder engine.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
One cylinder Yanmars are quite vibration prone and what you are experiencing is likely quite normal. When I bought my boat I was looking at several, including one with a 1 cyl. Everyone said two would be much easier on the fillings. Even two is pretty tough. I was shocked when I fired up my 2QM15 for the first time. Sounded like two guys driving a railroad spike with sledgehammers.

Dec 8, 2011
S2 8.0 C Baltimore
Shake rattle and roll

I installed a rebuilt YSM 12 in my S2 8.5. It seems to vibrate especially in idle. Is this due to being a one cylinder? I owned several boats but none had a one cylinder engine.
When I first went to look at my S2 8.0C I brought along a friend who was an Atomic 4 fan. We cranked up the YSM8 diesel in the boat and his eyes got very big and round. He looked like he was expecting the thing to throw a rod.

Hundreds of yours later I am still going strong, listening to the sweet sweet sound of "marbles in a tin can"

Yep they bang around quite a bit and at Idle sound like they are comint apart.

One thing...check your engine mounts and mounting sringers. S2 had issues with inadequately tabbed mountings. Easy fix, but a walking single cylinder would be scary a thing to see!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Shake rattle and roll

I second "check your mounts" as my tabbing had to be repaired too. About the only incredibly poor pieced of engineering on my boat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.