You knew it was too good to be true...

• Thread starter Justin - O'day Owner's Web
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

So yesterday I took an experienced sailor friend out for a daysail in Casco Bay on the Catalina 25. The predicted wind was 20 - 25 knots with stronger gusts, but at the time we set out the wind was constant at about 12. It wasn't the gusty stuff with the little puffs that warn you a big blow is coming, but a steady summer breaze. We went out under full sail, but I quickly had second thoughts and pulled a reef into the main, We started tooling around, and decided to pick a fight with an S2 we came across. The wind started to really pick up in the gusts, but was calm in between. The S2 chose to keep full canvass up and did ok in the calms, but I was schooling him in the gusts because I could sail flat and he had to luff. Suddenly we get a _big_ one. He was directly to leeward of me, and heeled over, and broached. Huge round up right into our path. I got clear and decided not to play with him anymore. So about an hour later, the wind is still increasing and we decide we don't belong out here anymore. Wind was 25, gust approaching 35. I have the main reefed down, and am reduced to a trysail's worth of genoa rolled out. We're still making 6.6 into the wind. I tried it without any headsail, but the boat wanted to round up too badly, so I needed the balance. Suddenly, a big calm spot in the wind. I look at the crew and tell her a big gust is likely to follow, and to dump the genny sheet when it hits. It comes. She dumps. I drop the travler to the leward rail. Not enough. Looking at water through the cabin portlights through the companionway. Splashed the boom. Blew out the seam above the first batten in my main. We got home after that. Reaching across the wind on the way into the anchorage we saw 7.2. Those of you with C25's will recognize this as all together too fast. The sailmaker says the repair will be only $35. I think I'll be adding a second reef point while I'm at it, and maybe visting the Doyle page in the emporium. Moral: If you're going to go out and blow up your mainsail so you can justify a new one, make sure that when you tell the boat's co-owner about it you leave out the part about getting knocked over. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

G

Greg Stebbins

That figures...

Justin, HOW come is it that you blow out a sail just screwing around and I'm reduced to having to just plain ol beg! "Can I have a new Main Sweetie? Huh can I? Cliff said it was a good one! So can I huh?" Damned ol main on my Hunter wouldn't give for nothin! I was thinking of draging it behind my car for a few miles. Oh well, begging works too, just not a cool. Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.