You guys were probably correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Okay you guys were probably right. Those damn gel cells were not worth it. Two West Marine Gel cells purchased in May 1990 for $209 each have finally died. That works out to 122 months @ $1.72/mo per battery. No maintenance, no problems, no nothing. The only time they quit was when the boat was left unplugged for a week with the reefer on. And then the engine still started. I even charged them on the wrong type of charger (Pro Mariner 20) for their entire life (10 years). So it's time for another decision. And this time I'm going to purchase AGM's (acid glass mat). The new ones are $140 each for 100 amp units. I just changed out the charger to a Statpower 40. So this weekend the clock starts ticking again. We will see. If anyone has anything to say about these let me know because I going to get them tommorrow.

R

Ron

e tu Brutus

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm....? Gee, only 10 years and no problems. I'd be upset too.

D

Don Alexander

No Wonder you are upset

I sold my previous boat recently and we were still using the original standard open cell truck batteries after 17 years. We were careful users but I cannot understand why your expensive, all singing all dancing gel cells gave such a short life.

D

David

AGM battery

Steve, I recently replaced two gel cell batteries on my 1988 H33.5 with two Gp27 Optima AGM batteries. I don't have a clue as to the age of the gel cells; however, the batteries were not original equipment because they were from an auto parts chain. One of the batteries were fried. I had a Newmar charger that was originally installed when the boat was manufactured. I now have a statpower 20 charger and the 2 Gp27 AGMs. My primary reason to converting to AGM was because of the location of the batteries beneath the aft berth. I did not want wet cell batteries that were constantly emitting corrosive / hydrogen vapors beneath the berth in a compartment that has open communication to battery switches and also the engine compartment. I feel that the AGM's will be safer.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Batteries . . .

Steve, When you go to look at your batteries, check out AGM in 6 volt instead of 12. If you have space to do two 6 volts instead of one 12, you'll find you get the most Amp-hours for your money. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Dec 2, 1999
17 years? That's older than the queen mother.

Don A: 17 years on a battery is older than the queen mother in battery life. You can bet these were not mfg in the good ol' U.S. of A., unless the were mfg by one of Ross Perots companies. Ron: Yes there is just a hint of sarcasm in the post. Many of the nay sayers were complaining about the cost and life of GEL's. They only cost more in the short term. Let one of the wet cells cook for a couple of weeks without water and see how cheap they become. The real savings is more in peace of mind. High quality wet cells can live just as long IF they are properly maintained. an Justin: I would replace these w/6 volts if space permitted. But on a H'31 with a reefer system I just hope to have about 400 amps to take care of my reefer, starting and general housekeeping. Probalby going with 12v units and about 4 batteries. 2 need to fit under the aft berth/over the shaft log and two in the aft lazarette. Now the hint of sarcasm resolved. So many of the owner think that wet cells are the way to go. If I was on my boat every two weeks year round and had excellent access to the battery banks, I would probably consider wet cells. The location of these batteries does NOT lend itself to checking them each time we are onboard. Nor does the lack of saftey lend me to believe that wet cells are the BEST way to go. These boats do have have blowers on them (yes we could add one). They are not set up as long range cruisers that has an entire bank of batteries located low in the bilge so for most of us every day weekend warriors the gels and AGM's are probably the cheapest way to go. Our original wet cells lasted for about 4 years. Our gels 10 years. I hope to get another 10 years from the AGM's.

M

Mark Johnson

I agree Steve!!!

I would REALLY be annoyed if my batteries cost me about 5 cents per day! As a matter of fact, I would probably bring them back and try to get a rebate. <grin>

T

Todd Osborne

Broad stereotyping?

It's nice you all can feel so free about comparing your battery types without going much into usage and charging practices. I could keep a battery made with pencil lead & donkey urine charged for 10 years if I used a three stage charger with my house bank only used for depthsounder & knotmeter. Throw in excessive amp drain, & overcharging and guess what, the darn (expensive) batteries didn't last... Maintenance & usage are the primary factors in determining battery life, not the type.

Dec 2, 1999
O todd

Todd: We have refigeration aboard and were only using a Pro Marine 20 charger for all these years. This charger was only two stage. As far as maintenance goes there was NONE.

A

A.L. ("Jim") Willis Pres of ISLAND GIRL PROD.

Marine Die hards etc

My Gulf 32 was left for years with me coming over to take care of it about 2-3 times a year. THe original batteries did not last long. THen I used Die Hards. They are cheap and so far last well. However, I have a mystery. WHy does the battery voltage slowly sink, even with solar panels and a wind generator? I found that switching off the current totally reduced this, but it still tends to happen unless the boat is started up and run every few days. COuld overchargin be one problem or is there a slow leakage of current? I now have shore power and I'm charging up to keep up voltage. every few days. ANy answers? By the way, the die hards even with all the neglect lasted better that those gel cells of yours! Jim Willis

T

Tim

Exide Nautilus at BJ's Wholesale Club

I've been buying these ever since a BJ's was nearby: $54 for 125Ah and they survive total abuse and neglect for around 5 years or more. I leave them in the boat all winter long in New England and run a DC refrigerator in the summer for extended time at a mooring. I used to buy Surrette at 2.5x price and baby them. They would last me 7+ years, but were starting to fade in the last 2 or so.

A

A.L. ("Jim") Willis Pres of ISLAND GIRL PROD.

Correction

I just read the gel cell testimonial again - no the Die Hards have not lasted more than ten years! 3 years so far. Jim W

Status
Not open for further replies.