You Can’t Go Home Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Who wrote that? I’ve been wondering the past couple of days. Few will probably be surprised that Barbara and I have decided that we have a lot to discuss before simply picking up where we left off. Her newly married daughter and son-in-law are also living in the house with all their belonging for a couple weeks until their house is ready. Although I love Aly like the daughter I never had and think the world of John, it would be pretty crowded under the current circumstances. Besides, I have to look after the boat. I couldn’t decide if it was worth the boat buck to have a new chain put on the mooring for the amount I would be using it so, for the time being, I’m still officially a crazy old guy on a boat.

Fortunately, the South Portland town dock is virtually unregulated. This was always a source of frustration to me when I lived here as derelict boats kept me from using it for pick up and drop off of daysailing guests. Now that I’m a derelict, I quite like it. I’ll be taking some short cruises down the coast as soon as the weather clears. My younger son will join me for an overnight as soon as some decent weather lines up with his days off.

My current view:

I’ll be hauling the boat mid month for bottom painting and re-pitching of the prop, taking advantage of the cheaper on shore storage rates to make a family visit road trip. Hopefully, Lee and Lynn, who you may remember from the Hampton to Saint Mary’s posts, will be in Maine by then for some cruising together. They’ve only seen Maine as far as Casco Bay and I’ve promised to show them the rest.

Beyond that horizon, the future is even more unknown at this point than everything that lay ahead on the trip south. Cruising the ICW is more expensive than I thought it would be. Every credit card payment on this trip has been larger than my retirement income, even without the unexpected expenses. Another person of my income and I could make it work quite nicely but that seems a very remote possibility at this point.

The time in Woods Hole, reconnecting with my past and accomplishments, also made me realize that I have some rare skills and would still like to do something with them. I had some extensive discussions in Newport and Woods Hole about a project where I could do that and I’m hoping something comes of it. It would probably mean living ashore again for a while but I’m not going to be able to keep Strider without additional income unless I just sail the boat back south, sell the rig for some cash, spread some tarps over the deck, mount a Briggs and Stratton generator on a 2 x 4 frame over the stern, and just sit for the rest of my life.

This was supposed to be, in large part, a voyage of self discovery. I’ve returned with more questions than answers. If I’ve learned anything, it is that life is cruising and cruising is just life. The next post in this forum may be a while appearing and it will be titled, “The First Leg”.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Well Roger welcome back,
I've been working hard to get the welcome mat cleaned for your return and as promised the band and fireworks are ready.

"The Stars and Stripes Spectacular, will be held at the Eastern Promenade Park. The celebration will feature a free Patriotic Pops concert by the Portland Symphony Orchestra with performances of Sousa, Copland, Tchaikovsky and 1984 Olympic theme composer John Williams in anticipation of the Summer Olympics -- making the spectacular a night to celebrate and remember! The concert, presented by Bangor Savings Bank, is scheduled to begin at 7:40 PM and will be broadcast live on WHOM 94.9 FM and will feature a sixty-member chorus. The concert will run throughout the fireworks display, presented by Time Warner Cable, which will begin at approximately 9:20 PM. A rain date for the 4th of July event is scheduled for Thursday, July 5th. Call the city’s hotline at 756-8130 if a change seems likely."

That's the best I can do on short notice.
All U Get

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
...Thomas Wolfe....

and I love the line 'If I’ve learned anything, it is that life is cruising and cruising is just life'.
What an honor to have gone along on this trip of yours, thank you and best wishes.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
...Thomas Wolfe....

and I love the line 'If I’ve learned anything, it is that life is cruising and cruising is just life'.
What an honor to have gone along on this trip of yours, thank you and best wishes.

Times two!!

I have been lurking on this forum and on Rogers web pages since he bought the boat was worried about what hid kids would name her.

Thank you!

Matt

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Brings to mind Herb Payson's excellent book "You Can't Blow Home Again"
Thanks for the postings, Roger.. Susan and I have enjoyed the saga of the voyage.

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
I've been watching this forum since nearly the beginning and now that it's over, well, I admit to being a bit sad! I looked forward to each and every update.

It's been a fascinating read and thanks to the vivid descriptions I felt that I was making the trip myself. This journey had it all: Adventure, excitement, happiness, sadness, uncertainty, perserverance...the list goes on and on.

I wanted to say thank you to Roger for sharing this experience with everyone and I truly enjoyed coming along for the ride. I don't know what the future holds, but I wish you all the best in wherever your next journey (either on a boat, or in life) takes you.

Nov 29, 2011
Douglass & McCloud Thistle East of the Hudson
Roger

I have enjoyed being a spider on the wall on your trip. It's been one of my fantasies to do such a thing someday, should I ever get to be a man of leisure.

I've learned a great deal, though probably not as much as you.

Fair winds, and keep writing, even if it's from ashore.

Allan

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
There liiterally is no going back - just forward with anticipation for what's just over the horizon. Now you have great memories, shared with the many folks on this forum who've followed your travels. Be well.....

Sep 23, 2009
Catalina 42 Mk II Fremantle, West Australia
Thank you for the epic. It was a pleasure meeting you in Elizabeth City after so many years of emails. We have crossed the Atlantic now and are in Portugal (yes, the Catalina did make it!). Your many wise observations have been noted for future reference. It's hard to go past what is obviously a purpose-built research ship now without wondering "did Roger build that? Many thanks for sharing and informing.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I was wondering how you were doing now that you made it back to Portland. It's funny how we anticipate things in life & discover that most of the time the journey is better than the destination. Maybe you're just not ready to retire & lead the life of a full time cruiser, I know that I couldn't. But it is nice to to be able to take off the time when you want to!! You'll figure out what's best for you.

Have a good 4th!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
I love this inscription on a monument in Beaufort, seems fitting for the end of your voyage... enjoy:

and though thy soul sail leagues and leagues beyond -
still, leagues beyond those leagues, there is more sea
Dante Rosetti

Status
Not open for further replies.