Yikes! Video of capsizing 22(?)' sailboat

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
It's a Martin 242, a one design from Canada, mostly found on west coast of US and around Vancouver. http://www.m242yachtsusa.com/index.asp

Lots of discussion in lots of places. Heck, my friend sent me the video on Facebook. Took about a week to circulate around to where a non-sailor, non-boater found it to send to me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
George in AK
As a former Catalina dealer who use to display the 22 in Annapolis for years, I can answer your question.
First the video you saw was a boat racing in sever weather with huge waves close to a pier which is dangerous to begin with and probably used for large vessels, I would have pulled the sails down and motored in. The skipper made a bad choice. If having to sail in rough weather one should be aware to sail and/or motor to angles like a suffer vs. broadside or head into waves.
With the 22, I would never suggest for small boats paticurlary if inexperienced to heel over 15 degrees to keep the boat under control with use of sails. I could go on but think you catch the drift. Remember this, when you are out and others are on board and feel queasy in rough weather, go with your instincts as your better half or significant other might be worse than the weather for being out there to begin with

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Calling that a capsize is like falling into a wood chipper and saying you got a cut. They got into the surf zone and the god of the seas smote them.

Someone in another post wrote to the effect that this is an example of what can happen when there is a problem and everyone focuses their attention on that one thing while other much worse problems build.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Looks like they took down the main, the jib on a roller fuler became jammed and no aux motor.