Yellowing Gelcoat

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Milne

Dan, Dan, I have noticed on several boats that there is an unsightly yellowing of the hull at the bow near the waterline. On some boats the problem is more severe than others. On my own boat, the problem seems to be just emerging. Do you know what causes this, how to prevent it and how to eliminate it once it occurs? Thanks, Peter Milne

D

Dan Ulrich

Yellowing (Peter)

Peter: Often times the yellowing you refer to is the result of lake water splashing on the bow area and drying over and over again. There is nothing to prevent it short of dry sailing your boat and wiping it clean every time you take it out. As this process continues the darkening progresses, not unlike never cleaning, but just rinsing a coffee cup. The oil/dirt content of inland lakes can be quite high and the result is the brown scum you describe. Any product containing OXALIC ACID will go a long way in removing the brownish staining. It is the wet/dry wet/dry cycles that makes it more pronounced above the water line. Dan

B

Bob Bennett

The cure for Yellow Gel Coat

Every few Months or so the gel coat near the bow of my Oday 25 gets the same yellow/rust stains. I always thought it was Lake polution . Nothing would take it off, gel coat restorer, laquer thinner, clorox, comet even wet sandpaper. Then I thought that it lokked like a rust stain, maybe a rust remover would work. Sure enough, there is a product called LCR made to remove rust and calcium build up on showers and it really worked. I just soaked a sponge and wiped across the stains, no rubbing. Be sure and wear gloves, this stuff burns. As far as I can tell it hasn't hurt the gel coat and I've been doing this for at least 2 years every 6 months or so depending on the skankyness of Lake Pontchartrain. Try it !

B

Bob Bennett

The cure for Yellow Gel Coat

Every few Months or so the gel coat near the bow of my Oday 25 gets the same yellow/rust stains. I always thought it was Lake polution . Nothing would take it off, gel coat restorer, laquer thinner, clorox, comet even wet sandpaper. Then I thought that it looked like a rust stain, maybe a rust remover would work. Sure enough, there is a product called LCR made to remove rust and calcium build up on showers and it really worked. I just soaked a sponge and wiped across the stains, no rubbing. Be sure and wear gloves, this stuff burns. As far as I can tell it hasn't hurt the gel coat and I've been doing this for at least 2 years every 6 months or so depending on the skankyness of Lake Pontchartrain. Try it !

D

dave

reallY?

i wonder if that would work on the lifeline stanchions, winches etc? any ideas from anyone else on maintenance of the stainless steels fixtures on the boat? thanks

R

Reid Cameron

SS cleaner passifier

We asked around Roadtown and found Wichard SS claener, polish, passivator and tried it on our Hunter 43 which is in charter service in the BVI's. Works great and that little plastic bottle did the whole boat and hardly needed a touch-up 6 mons later. Passivation is required if the SS is not left dry long enough to form the protective finish. Take care. Reid Cameron s/v Changes in Latitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.