Year round live aboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B Farrell

We live aboard our 2003 Hunter 456 in Hong Kong. Summers are warm (33+ C) and winters are cool but short (5 to 10 C). Our B&R rig was tuned by a Hunter factory tech that visited Hong Kong summer 2003. Should the rig be slackened a bit for the colder seasons?..I ask because I have noticed some small gelcoat star cracks by the chain plates and inside some of the caulking around bulkheads has pulled free. Also some winter leaks occurs and dissappers in the summer. Thanks B Farrell

B

Brion Toss

Need more data

Hello, The range of temperatures you are talking about will produce a significant amount of tension change in your standing rigging. Since it was tuned in the Summer, that means it will be a lot tighter in the Winter. Here in the Pacific Northwest we are fortunate in having a more moderate range of temperature, so we can usually tune for the whole year, but you might not be so lucky. The other variable is just how tight the rep tuned. The tighter it was, the tighter it will be in the Winter; do you have any numbers on tension? Finally, if you do slack the rig in Winter, you need to know by how much. This is not something to be arbitrary about, as a too-slack rig could be even harder on the hull than a too-tight one. Can you get a tuning gauge on the gang? Or perhaps measure the tension by measuring stretch? Selden's free tuning guide could help with this. Fair leads, Brion Toss

D

Don

Old myth

The theory that the rig tensions up in winter/cold is a myth. The coefficient of expansion for aluminum and steels are quite different. Long story short - the rig contracts much less than the mast for the relative lengths involved so no worry. Mother nature takes care of it for you and anythig you try to help will only make the rigging too loose. Don

B

Brion Toss

Myth, schmyth

Hello, If only it were so simple. Yes, aluminum shrinks more than identically-dimensioned steel, but there's more to the problem. For starters, each strand in a stay is quite a bit longer than the mast; they just wind around a bit on the way. Since contraction is partly a function of length, the extra length will at least partially offset the difference in coefficient. Next, aluminum doesn't necessarily change temperature at the same rate, or to the same degree, as it were, as steel. Paint, interior heat, wall thickness, and alloy type can push the differences even further. Next, an extruded mast section will absorb and radiate heat and cold in different amounts, with more action tending to come at the ends. Wire (or rod) is, as I understand it, more likely to be uniform in its behavior. Finally, the vessel itself can contribute to rig tension. Most are fairly unresponsive to cold, but it doesn't take much motion to make a lot of difference in tension. I'll see if I can come up with some specific numbers in a follow-up. Meanwhile, even without the above, I've simply had too much experience with moderately tuned rigs suddenly jamming head doors to dismiss this as a myth. Fair leads, Brion Toss

Status
Not open for further replies.