Yanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken

Hi, anybody using OEM filters in their Yanmar. Fram has cross referencing. I have a 28.5 with a 2GMF. I am considering oil and fuel filters. Please let me know if anyone has had any experience with this, good or bad. Thanks.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Use the OEM oil filter.

Ken: This subject comes around about once every 3-6 months. Some will tell you there is NO difference. Most of the sailors that have been to the Yanmar classes will tell you to ONLY use the OEM filter. There is not enough savings to take ANY chance. You only need one of these aftermarket filters to fail. It will cost $15k to re-power your boat. It is sort of like that commercial "pay me now, or pay me later".

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Steve,,,, your premise is true,,but

when has a name brand filter failed? Why should a filter with the engine manufacturers' name on it be the worlds best filter and save your 15K? It's just a gimmick, to get twice the cash from you, than it's worth. Remember, some guys out there, still think Atomic 4's are a good engine. They don't even have a filter. When that engine was designed, filters hadn't been invented yet.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I guess you missed my point.

Fred: You have missed my point. The Yanmar filter is $7.60 which gets changed once every year or two. If they give you a brand 'x' filter for free, you have saved the a very small amount of money. The people that KNOW the difference have continued to convince their students that there is a difference. Do some research on the web. There have been many tests of oil filters that will show you that there IS a difference in oil filters.

P

Pat McCartin

Yanmar vs Fram

I go thru this on a weekly basis. My local West sells the Fram filters for $9.99 each. I sell the Yanmar filter $5.99, MSRP. I can't understand why people would buy aftermarket. I'v always been an advocate of factory filters. I believe the factory spec'd the correct filter and the oil system is to important to mess with. Just another oppinion. Pat McCartin Inland Marine Diesel Buford, Ga imd_ga@hotmail.com

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Selby Bay
There's a difference

I've seen both a Fram and a Yanmar filter cut in half. Trust me, there IS a difference! Also, the fact that the difference in price between them is just a few bucks, I don't think using a non-Yanmar filter makes economic sense. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Steve, you missed MY point

I'm not saying we should use some junk, Commie filter with no name. I'm saying that 'brand name' on the filter means nothing. IMHO Fram is the best example. Open one up and compare to say, Wix. (Dana) But Fram just came out with a new 'high performance' product line that should be as good as everybody else. And do you really believe that Yanmar makes their own filters? Man is this subject a dead horse!

Jun 23, 2004
Hunter 34 Solomons MD
Google Oil Filter Comparison=...

Take a look at the link below, read for yourself and make up you own mind. DJ

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Thanks DJ

That link backs up what many of us have been saying. He seems to be a radical hot rodder. :) (like me)

Status
Not open for further replies.