yanmar

swank

Dec 14, 2014
catalina 30 San Carlos, Mexico
I have a Catalina 30 that I just put a yanmar 2 GM20F in. This engine vibrates more than the universal I took out. The shaft knocks in the tunnel and is very irritating. The yanmar mounts are very soft. Can I replace the rears with a stiffer mount? Maybe an after market mount? Or is there something I can do to stiffen the ones I have. The boat is in Mexico. And parts are scarce. I could get some this summer back in the states but would like to fix it now. Any ideas?

Jun 5, 2004
HUNTER 450 Rockhall MD
I think they had front and rear mounts are you sure you have the correct mounts?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
how old are the mounts they may need to be changed there is a way to measure the mount to see if it is on its last leg ...i think you measure in the middle of the mount where the v part is almost hitting the bottom base plate ....kloudie help me out on this one plz if its down to 5/16 of an inch in the gap they are about done for and ti to replace them ...hope i got this correct ...if not someone will clear that up for me or confirm.....

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there are two kinds ....75's and 100's two of each ...iirc the 100's are the front ones and the 75's are the rear ones

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Is the shaft knock causing the engine to vibrate or the reverse? Have you done an engine realignment when you installed the new engine?

swank

Dec 14, 2014
catalina 30 San Carlos, Mexico
Yes engine has been realigned. From a previous reply I believe I have the wrong rear mounts.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You are correct, Woody; 100's front, 75's rear.. Numbers are on the rubber cushions, if I remember correctly. The Yanmar mounts are very stiff in fore/aft and up/down, but not very in port/stbd. Allows the engine to shake that way because it is natural for a 2 cyl (and 3) to shake that way.. Need to center the prop shaft in the stern tube (packing box mount) to keep it from whacking the sides.