Yanmar YSM8G

Aug 24, 2014
Aphrodite 101 148 Coeur d Alene ID
Good news, engine started up on the first try after sitting idle for the winter. Bad news, after about five minutes it acted like it was not getting enough fuel. It finally just stropped running. Changed the small fuel filter and bled the air using the hand pump. Loosened the screw on the injector to bleed off any air. Egnine will not start...

Apr 8, 2017
Hunter Cherubini 36' chherubini Poughkeepsie
Don't know about inboards have an overheating problem

On my heavy equipment there is a water separator that has to be filled

On my 81 Hunter yanmar the filter and the separator are together

Make sure the bowl is full

Run the engine with air bleeder open enough to give pressure to spit out air

Let it sit with key on for a while to prime

Give it gas and they normally turn over

Stalls a couple of times

Bleed it again

And they run fine
Hope this helps

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Be careful with flooding the engine from the exhaust.. When the starter spins the engine it spins the water pump as well.. the water will dump into the exhaust pipe and if the engine does not fire, there is not enough pressure to blow the water out the thru hull.. Continued cranking will water-lock the engine

Apr 8, 2017
Hunter Cherubini 36' chherubini Poughkeepsie
Thanks
Not sure exactly what youu mean butt I think II get it
Hose off pump now while checking
Found sea pump impeller bad

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fix the impeller.
When bleeding the system it will take many more pumps of the manual lift pump then you want to give it. ( remember my first time. took me more than 30 minutes of manual pumping to get fuel to the injectors. I really let the air get into the system. Never again) You need to get all of the air out. When it comes to starting if it does not start right up, close the raw water intake. Then you can run the starter until it starts, your battery dies or the starter motor dies. The reason to be sure you are getting fuel all the way to the injectors, by following the engine manuals procedures.
Usually shortcuts in bleeding don't work... but sometimes they do.

Aug 24, 2014
Be careful with flooding the engine from the exhaust.. When the starter spins the engine it spins the water pump as well.. the water will dump into the exhaust pipe and if the engine does not fire, there is not enough pressure to blow the water out the thru hull.. Continued cranking will water-lock the engine
I am not sure what you mean by water-lock. When I looked it up, all I found was a discussion about water entering the intake and getting into the cylinders. Are you talking about something different?
Thanks,
Joe

Aug 24, 2014
Fix the impeller.
When bleeding the system it will take many more pumps of the manual lift pump then you want to give it. ( remember my first time. took me more than 30 minutes of manual pumping to get fuel to the injectors. I really let the air get into the system. Never again) You need to get all of the air out. When it comes to starting if it does not start right up, close the raw water intake. Then you can run the starter until it starts, your battery dies or the starter motor dies. The reason to be sure you are getting fuel all the way to the injectors, by following the engine manuals procedures.
Usually shortcuts in bleeding don't work... but sometimes they do.
This engine only has one injector and I did did pop the screw and to make sure lots of fuel was coming out. Will go back and pump it again.
Still trying to figure out why it started right up, ran fine for about five minutes, acted like it was running out of fuel and then quit running.

Thanks, Joe

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Joe. That's happened to me a couple of times. Always turned out to be fuel starvation from clogged filters. First time I did not refill the fuel filter container. Lots of air to bleed.
I have a Perkins 4 cylinder so have 4 injectors that all want fuel. They really are simple engines. Air fuel cooling. I would just go over the normal steps and give it a try.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I am not sure what you mean by water-lock. When I looked it up, all I found was a discussion about water entering the intake and getting into the cylinders. Are you talking about something different?
Thanks,
Joe
It fills the cylinders from the Exhaust not the intake - your pumping more water into the muffler than the engine can push out so it fills up the muffler, then the exhaust elbow, then the exhaust manifold then the cylinders - which is why John said to turn off the raw water intake (which is what I have done) - alternatively every 30 seconds of cranking you can stop and drain your muffler into the bilge (ugh).