Yanmar YSE8 oil change/fill question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawzzy

Aug 31, 2009
Pearson 31 Grimsby
I have an oil fill at the front for the crankcase, and one at the back for the clutch housing. I was told when changing the oil, I ONLY had to empty from the front and that both would drain as they were one and the same. I then filled both with fresh oil, but seemed to have to add more directly to the clutch housing. But now the crankcase seemed to overfill, and I'm leaking oil from underneath somewhere...I imagine I've weakened a seal somewhere The other odd thing is that the clutch oil is CLEAN and clear, but he crankcase oil is it's usual BLACK....if they're one and the same for filling, and draining, how can this be? Can someone please clear this up for me once and for all? THANKS!!!!!

Oct 26, 2005
Oday 28 Detroit/Grosse Pointe Park (O'Day 192, O'Day 28)
I have an oil fill at the front for the crankcase, and one at the back for the clutch housing. I was told when changing the oil, I ONLY had to empty from the front and that both would drain as they were one and the same. I then filled both with fresh oil, but seemed to have to add more directly to the clutch housing. But now the crankcase seemed to overfill, and I'm leaking oil from underneath somewhere...I imagine I've weakened a seal somewhere The other odd thing is that the clutch oil is CLEAN and clear, but he crankcase oil is it's usual BLACK....if they're one and the same for filling, and draining, how can this be? Can someone please clear this up for me once and for all? THANKS!!!!!
I think you got some bad advice. I have a YSM8, which I think is similar, and I have to drain from both locations, and fill from both. A manual I found says:
"Although the crank chamber is not connected with the clutch case, the same lubrication oil is employed for both"
meaning the same type of oil is used for both.
If you want a copy of my manual, let me know. It's about 20MB pdf, but I have it broken up into sections too.

Kevin

jawzzy

Aug 31, 2009
Pearson 31 Grimsby
I have a manual for mine too, and says to fill both and use same oil, but nothing about draining, and that's what's confusing, because I ONLY drained from the crankcase last fall, and I had to fill the clutch case ALOT, so either it drained too, or was VERY LOW already....I thought maybe there was a one way valve for draining vs filling??? THANKS for the help and offer :)

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
I have a YSE8 in my 1976 Bristol 24. I drain and fill the motor and clutch separately. I actually use different lube in each. I use Rotella 30 in the motor, and Mobil 1 in the clutch. That's the way the PO did it, so I didn't change. Haven't had any problems in several hundred hours.

I've found that I have to use a fairly small tube on my oil vacumn pump, to get all the way down and suck out all the oil. I also remove the oil strainer assembly, and wipe everything inside.

I believe there is an oil seal between the motor and the clutch. You might get oil mixing if that seal is bad.

jawzzy

Aug 31, 2009
Pearson 31 Grimsby
Thanks O, and the early results seem to say that they are separate, and for some reason I seem to have missed a low oil level in the clutch case, and mistaken it for being drained with my crankcase oil change....now to change the oil again, and this time be sure to not overfill it. Anyone know if using an oil leak stoppage fluid is a "bad" or "good" idea with these diesel engines????? I'd like to try and at least slow down the leak till fall when I can tackle the problem better. Also, any ideas on freeing up the gear changing from the crankcase end? Mine's a little hard to pull out of reverse and forward to neutral. Going into gears is no problem, and I KNOW it's not the shifter or cable ;)

jawzzy

Aug 31, 2009
Pearson 31 Grimsby
I believe I've figured it out ;) When I drain the oil, I've always managed to get my drain tube to go thru this tight fitting hole for about another 12" or so beyond the first entry level (it's not always easy to find or do, but it's there), and when I did it this week, it appears that I'm pushing a "trap" door or something to get there, and it feels just like that when pushing it thru, or pulling it out....so it appears this trap door keeps the Oil pans separate for each other, but allows the draining of BOTH from one entry point.

Status
Not open for further replies.