Yanmar YSE-12 Replace or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2005
- - Nassau, Bahamas
I have just purchased a H30. The engine in it has the head off and does not seem in very good shape. Is it worth rebuiling it as it is the original YSE-12 or should I just replace it? If I replace it what other engine will fit the same mounts. thanks

B

Bill O'Donovan

Depends

A competent yard could tell you quickly. If you're in Nassau, NY that's easy. Harder if you're in Nassau, Bahamas. If it's the latter, wish I were there too.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 30 Tall rig Punta Gorda FL
Check out the full cost

After spending as much money overhauling the old engine as a new engine and transmision from Vetus, I would serious consider replacing. Too many overhaulers talk a good price until they have replaced everything that moves. Suddenly you have an old engine, with a used transmission with some new parts. For the same price you could have everything new. Get a firm price before venturing too far. Yes Yanmar is good but how are the bearings, the water pumps, the injectors, the fuel pumps, etc.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 Montevallo Al
Head off Why?

The fact that the head is off should be troublesome. Somebody has had engine trouble, taken off the head but then stopped. Why? Perhaps because what was found with the head off indicated more trouble than it was worth to fix. At least, get a good mechanic to examine the top end while it is opened up and give his opinion as to the engine's repairability and an estimate. If repairable, then you can compare with other options.

May 12, 2005
- - Nassau, Bahamas
Not too bad

I know the history of the engine. It has not been serviced regularly and the head is off as the injector was stuck in the head and they could not do a compression check. Engine was running, but has not been run for about 2 years. I think I will probably look at replacing, as that seems to be the general view. Plus I can add more power!!

T

Tammy

Replace it

We have a 79 H30. When we bought the boat we knew the engine had already been rebuilt at least once. We soon found out that the boat was seriously under powered so when the engine died the captain opted to replace rather than rebuild. He said that it wasn't all that much more to replace and he'd have an engine that he felt sure of. In the process of replacement we were told that the shaft was bent (which would explain why all the cabin doors banged when the engine was running) He replaces the 12horse Yanmar with an 18h Westerbek.

I

Ian McGain

You might want to check for sale by owner

FOR SALE: Old Yanmar YSE 12. Seller located at West Wareham, Ma, placed 04/22/2005, by Bob. Work phone: 508-273-7069 Home phone: 508-273-7069 Description of Old Yanmar YSE 12: (Click photo for full-size view) I have a used Yanmar YSE 12, it came out of a a 1976 Hunter 30. I bought the boat with the motor in it, and during the rehab replaced the motor. I never started it, so I don't know how it runs. The prior owner said it ran fine and he never had any problems with it other than it being occasionally tempermental. The motor is out of the boat on a pallet, with all related parts. Sold as is, no warranties or guanrantees. Can be picked up in West Wareham, Ma. General condition Unknown Price BO over $500.00

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
on classifieds here????

didnt i see one for sale on the gear here ads mike

B

baboo

troublsome at best

I have sunk way too much into rebuilding my yse12, it would make a good anchor - replace dont waste money on it!

S

steve rainey

yse12 replacement

Don't forget to keep in mind your transmission if you replace the engine. Not that it boats together but be sure the two are compatible. check with torreson marine.

May 12, 2005
- - Nassau, Bahamas
Source for Engine

I have decided to replace the YSE-12, where can I get a good rebuilt that would fit a 1976 Hunter 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.