yanmar ysb8 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2006
- - Honolulu Yamaha 25'
I hope someone out there can give me some help on a broken ysb8. The engine has given me no trouble since I bought the boat 4 years ago. The other day though coming into the channel it did not seem to be coming up to full RPM and slowly over about ten to fifteen minutes to RPMs droped unitll it quit. I tried to restart it and got some white smoke which someone told me it was steam. I have been told to check the impeller , the fuel filter was cloged , the water intake is cloged . I pulled the water pump and looked at the impeller and it looked ok since we were on our way to Molokai I did not have the time to really to look into it. Now that I am back I need some guidence on were to really start on getting this thing fixed. The engine is 33 years old should I just rebuild it and how hard is it toget rebuild kits? Any hlep I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brian

Jul 21, 2010
Dufour 365 Granville Isl. Vancouver
I would not jump into a rebuild unless you have to. Does the engine run now that you have replaced the fuel filters and cleaned out the water intake? With any luck all that happened was that the engine was starved for fuel by the clogged fuel filter.

Ken

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
My YSM8 is also 30 years old . I have once encountered white smoke from the exhaust hose . It is because I pull too much lub. engine oil. The lub oil go into the cylinder and burn together with the fuel . It is not surprise , after 30 years used ,the oil seal in the piston leak. There may be other reason , of the white smoke , you didn't mentioned where the smoke come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.