Yanmar Transmission Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry Rozanski

I changed the Transfluid recently and overfilled it by a half pint or so. This caused my drive train to shimmy like crazy until I removed the excess. It also required a mechanic to realign my engine after putting it through this trauma. He told me the extra fluid could have blown out my seals. It kept the gears from meshing properly, causing slippage and vibration . I'm lucky I didn't cause real damage - I came back to the dock after a couple of miles. I've talked to Max Boring - the national distributer and a couple other Deisel suppliers and they seemed ignorant to this phenomena. I'm very suspicious that this over-filling warning isn't in bold type in any of the manuals - planned obsolesence??? I'm very dissappointed in this apparent oversight. If you change your own fluids - be forewarned!!!

M

Marty

Me too, I think

Henry, I think I've run into the same problem. I did a full oil change recently for the first time and ignorance in the area of the trans dipstick caused me to overfill my trans. I noticed the next time out that I was getting vibrations while in gear around 2500 rpm that I didn't have before the oil change. I posted a message here about it, but didn't gain any insight into that problem. I did however learn that the single mark on the dipstick is the high level mark. Next time out I checked the oil level and it indeed was over the mark. I removed the excess oil, but still have the vibrations @2500 rpm. It sounds like I need a shaft realignment. Thanks for the warning. Marty S/V Diversion

V

Victor Robert

Check the prop

When diagnosing an engine vibration problem, remember to check the prop. Several 'experts' had diagnosed my vibration problem (varied with RPM) to be engine/shaft alignment. Fortunately, before doing the alignment I changed from the original two blade prop to a new 3 blade and the vibration disappeared. The damage to the old prop was so subtle you could barely see it when holding it in your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.