Yanmar Transmission Dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

When I look at my Yanmar Manual, it indicates that the transmission dipstick has a high mark and a low mark. When I actually remove the dipstick, it is actually more like a tube with a mark about 1/4" above the bottom and NO other additional markings. The drawing in the manual is horrible and I can't figure this out. Is the mark 1/4" from the bottom the 'high' mark and the bottom serving as the low mark? Is the mark 1/4" from the bottom the 'low' mark and the high mark is missing? Any help would be appreciated as the current level reads right at the mark at the 1/4" level and I don't know if I'm in great shape or in need of replenishing.

G

Gregg

Yanmar

Dave - The mark at the bottom of the stick is the *high* mark. The fluid should be filled to that level. Also check the book for how to read it - it should say to check the stick *without* threading it in all the way. I have a 2GM20F in my H-290, and the transmission doesn't take more than a few ounces of fluid - 300 ml, I think. So use caution when changing/adding fluid.

G

Gregg

Overfill

Don't know for sure what will happen. My guess is like a car's automatic transmission, the oil will foam, and the air bubbles in the oil will cause slipping. Get a pump and remove all the oil, then refill with the proper amount of new oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.