Yanmar throttle cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpdno

May 16, 2011
Watkins 27 Venice
I have a Yanmar 2GM. It seems to run happiest at about 2800 rpm. The problem I have is once I advance throttle it will slowly pull back so after a few minutes I'm running at slower rpm. I have to constantly push the throttle forward as after a few minutes it slips back.
Is there some way to adjust the throttle cable tension so it stays in the position I want?

Greg

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I have a Yanmar 2GM. It seems to run happiest at about 2800 rpm. The problem I have is once I advance throttle it will slowly pull back so after a few minutes I'm running at slower rpm. I have to constantly push the throttle forward as after a few minutes it slips back.
Is there some way to adjust the throttle cable tension so it stays in the position I want?

Greg
there is a clamp that you can add to your cable to control that problem ...it is called a cable brake....and looks like this

regards

woody

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
There should also be a throttle cable clamp on the cable inside the compass pedestal. Just remove the compass via 4 (or 3) screws and lift it out. There will be compass light wires still attached. Inside look with a flashlight and you should see the cable friction adjustment clamp. just adjust it some and try it. It may take a few adjustments to get it right. Mine did the same thing as yours, and after adjusting it, it has been fine foe a few years now.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I recently changed the throttle cable for my 3gm engine that uses an Edson pedestal throttle setup. The old cable had two clamps on it that had been tightened so much that the cable jacket was cracked. After removing the compass and plastic ring that supports the compass, I found what I thought was the throttle friction adjuster. It's a ss bolt that extends down into a groove in the throttle lever shaft. This keeps the throttle lever securely in the pedestal. It also serves the function of a friction devise when it contacts the shaft. BUT my bolt was not long enough to contact the shaft. It didn't appear to be worn away, so maybe there was some kind of friction material under the bolt that was worn away?? Anyway, I replaced it with a bolt that is about 1/2 longer and treaded on a nut to act as a jam nut to keep the bolt from backing off. Now the end of the bolt rubs against the throttle shaft and is working fine. Here some data from Edson that will help explain it. http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/installation/EB396EngineControlInstr.PDF
'

Status
Not open for further replies.