Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2007
Hunter 34 Charlestown
Tachometer on H34 not functioning. What should be checked and how? Thanx Marc

May 20, 2006
- - Oceanside,CA
Me too!

Mine worked fine too on a passage to Catalina last week, nexted day no worky. Someone advised me to check the connections at the alternator. We'll see. Dan H 45 O'side

GuyT

May 8, 2007
Hunter 34 South Amboy, NJ
Trace all wires from alternator

There is a connector at the motor and the instrument housing for the wire assembly. Take them off and clean all the connections. Unplugging and re-plugging the connector while wiggling from side to side sometimes helps clean the pins in the connector enough to make a good contact. Do this at the engine connector and also the instrument housing connector. If you have an ohm-meter, check for continuity on both sides of the male and female connector. The connectors have a male and female pin inside the housings. Sometimes corrosion prevents a good signal - after 20 years this may be the case. To clean off the oxidation from connectors, I usually scrape them with a paper clip or even a very narrow screw driver. You just want to get the layer of oxide off the top so that it makes metal to metal contact.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 Sarasaota
Tach quit

Ours did the same thing. Was just a bad connection on the pick up connector located on the engine.

J

Joe Mullee

Malfunctioning Tach ??

I have a tach that only reaches 3000 RPM's on a Yanmar 3GMF. Been that way since I bought the boat six years ago. Two years ago I was having some work done so had the engine timed and was told it wasn't the engine but that the tach wasn't working properly. When the timing gun showed 3400 RPM the tach showed 2900. I've never had a problem with motoring and regularly reach 6.5+ knots at 80-85% throttle. Any idea's on how to fix the tach without replacing it? Thanks, Joe Mullee

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Tach connector...

There is a sensor at the top of the bell housing that picks up a magnetic pulse from off the flywheel on the 3GM30F's in H34's. Two wires come off it into a plastic connector to the wiring harness. Pull it apart and clean the connection tabs/slots with an alcohol swab, then gently crimp the slides back down so they grip the tabs tightly and your tach problems should be solved.

S

SV Tumbleweed

Tach Sensor

Dan J. gave you the correct answer!! On the 3GM30's the alternator stator is not used for a tach input unless someone butchered your electrical system. Fair Winds, Bill

Jul 18, 2007
Hunter 34 Charlestown
right on! contacts cleaned w/denatured alcohol and

WOW.... works like new! M

Status
Not open for further replies.