Yanmar starting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

I have a problem with engine starts with my Yanmar 2GF20(F). It just developed recently. When I am out sailing and ready to restart the engine by pressing the start button, nothing happens. Some times I have to press it really hard 3 or 4 times before it would start. But if I start the engine in the slip when getting ready to go out, it always starts on the first attempt. I wonder if I have a problem with the switch (push/release type) or starter or the batteries. I do day-sailing and the only other power consumption is an autopilot which I use may be 30 to 60 minutes or so when I am out. I have two batteries, both deep cycle, one DP-24 the other DP-27. Both battery are flooded types and are about 6 months old. I use a battery switch that has "1-Both-2-Off". I normally keep the switch on "Both" and charge them with shore power about 30 minutes/day using a timer. I would appreciate any suggestions on what may be the cause of my problem.Thanks

M

Mike

Not so hard to fix

No just what your going through..I have an H31..same problem. Unsrew the control panel from the boat. Unscrew the nut on the back of the start button. Take a pencil eraser and clean the contacts till shiney! Then re assemble and start first time out. This will work for about 6 months..depending on how wet the area gets.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Maybe Key Related?

The next time it doesn't start try turning the key slightly with the start button depressed. The problem might be internal to the key switch.

M

Miles

Both good suggestions...

You could also just get a new push button for around $20 at WM. That's what I had to do on mine when it started acting up. The contacts get corroded and even a little bit of corrosion really messes things up. Also check the battery cable ends to be sure they are good...

P

Paul

Not Time

I agree with Mike but also you may use some sandpaper to clean the terminals. But, look at it this way, the boat is telling you that it's not time to go in yet. You still have some time to sail.

M

matt

if those fixes don't work

And maybe they will. I had the same problem w/my 3gmf. Sort of randomly started, and usually failed while at sea after having sailed; and i couldn't really attribute it to anything (didn't try cleaning the terminals though). I was running off 2 deep cycles of dubious age but decided to work in a designated starting battery. Ever since, never a problem. Starts on the first crack. So it could be that your deep cycles are taking a big hit on that initial start, and not quite recovering during the power to sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.