Yanmar Starter Key Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

I have a Hunter 466 and the key is vulnerable to damage from someone's rump sitting on it and snapping it. Any suggestions for a low profile cover?

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Mine.

On my L37, the Yanmar control panel is in a rectangular recessed area of the cockpit specifically designed for the panel. It the has a clear, acrylic glass over the area that matches the lip on the recessed area and is screwed into place on the four corners. There is a round hole cut in the acrylic that allows access to the keyswitch and the starter button. The area is suceptible to foot-banging, but not a butt-hit, but is still well-protected.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Anything that sticks out in a cockpit is subject to getting hit. The best thing you can do is NEVER leave your key in the lock. The nature of sailing requires crew to move around in the cockpit, if the key ain't there it can't be broken.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Me Think's

The key has to stay when motoring but not sailing,I would want it in place just in case I need to start it in a emergency and not lose it overboard or need to search for it. If you had a photo would help come up with something.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
Key Protection

Our instrument panel is mounted vertically in the forward face of the starboard side footwell where it can be kicked or bumped. Therefore, I bought two simple 'U' shaped 3 1/2" wide black 'Lowe's' aluminuminum drawer handles and mounted them paralel to the key slot on about a 40 degree angle so the machine screws come thru available areas of the panel either side of the key switch and out of the way of the instruments. The handles project slightly more than the extent of the key and it's not ben bumped since the 'handles' were installed. No jib sheets can catch on the key either.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Good Ideas,

But I have seen other users of boat set-ups like mine simply drop the key between the "glass" and the control panel. It is out of the way and can still be quickly reached if an emregency ensues.

I

Ivan Bekey

A side benefit, Paul:

Taking the key out after starting the engine also has the side benfeit of avoiding our reflex to shut off the engine by turning the key--the way we do in our car a thousand times a year. With the key out of the way pulling the fuel shutoff control is the only way, and becomes more natural.

Feb 19, 2004
Hunter 466 SF Bay Area
Engine Control Cover

Hi Jeff, My 2003 466 has the old Hunter design engine control, with no cover, as the newer hunters now have. I'm fabricating a cover in the coming weeks out of starboard and clear plexiglass for the reason you mentioned as well as in response to a sticky start switch that ultimately cost me over $2k to fix.... The starter switch stuck on during an emergency maneuver without the helmsman knowing, frying the starter. All because of a balky $10 switch. I spoke to hunter about retrofitting a new yanmar panel and none of the wiring harnesses are compatible, hence the custom fabrication. If you are interested I'll send you photos when done and any lessons learned during fabrication. allan

B

Bob

starter key

If you take the key out of the ignition while the engine is running you will turn off the charging system and possibly fry the diodes as there is no place for the electricity generated by the alternator to be deposited (i.e. battery).

I

Ivan Bekey

Not so on my boat, Bob

The key switch on my 356 allows the key to be removed in the running position without affecting any connections. Maybe it shouldn't but it does. Threrefore removing my key does nothing to fry the alternator.

Status
Not open for further replies.