Yanmar specified adhesive sealants

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Hello everyone,

Hopefully this is an easy question. The yanmar service manual lists a bunch of what they call packing agents and adhesives at different application points in my Yanmar 3GMD engine.

Since they don't seem to be available I was curious what everyone uses as available (USA) substitutes.

Some of the ones I'm curious about are:

Oil pan gasket - Three Bond 3B8-005
Various bolts - Screw Lock Super 203M
Cylinder head side cover - Three Bond No. 4
Water pump packing - Three Bond No. 2
Cooling water pipe threads - Three Bond No. 20

I assume the thread lock equivalent would be a Loctite product but which one?

I currently have my exhaust manifold off (raw water cooled) and cleaned it all out as well as the cover to the cooling water jacket of the manifold. So there is the cover gasket as well as the manifold to engine gasket.

I also replaced the oil pan gasket 1.5 years ago and that never sealed real great. I used the red spray tack on oil pan originally - so I'm not sure that was correct.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Neal

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
We had a similar question on the IP forum recently.

Here is one of the responses from that thread:
"If the joint that I take apart is clean and the gasket is in good shape I just bolt it back together. No leaks in 50 years.

If the gasket is torn or split when you take the joint apart and it isn't convenient to get a new one (almost always) I will coat it the non hardening black Permatex. Again no leaks.

On some critical high temperature joints like exhaust components I use the red high temp Permatex"

I have a few components off my engine at the moment and will be using the blue loctite (can't remember the exact number at the moment) when I reassemble as I want to be able to take it apart again in the future.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Matt

Mar 1, 2012
Hunter Hunter H34 McKinley Marina
I live in Wisconsin and recently purchased a 1985 H34 Hunter. It has a Yanmar 3GM(f) and it seems that the engine has 30 year old hoses and nearly everything else...other than hopefully the oil.

I contacted Bay Shore Marine in Annapolis MD and they were unbelievably good with knowledge and as for parts, everything was in stock and there prices were great and they shipped the same day. I think if yo have questions they can help you and make recommendations as they have a complete repair facility and so forth. (410) 263-8370 I worked with Mitch Bell. good luck.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
"If the joint that I take apart is clean and the gasket is in good shape I just bolt it back together. No leaks in 50 years.
Matt
I'm replacing all gaskets.

Permatex couldn't tell me what their equivalent sealants were.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Contact Mack Boring at 908-964-0700 for recommendations. The are located in NJ too.