Yanmar Single Cylinder Engine Running Rough

Aug 24, 2014
Aphrodite 101 148 Coeur d Alene ID
I have an 8hp Yanmar. It was running fine and then after about five minutes the rpm's began to drop off then come back up then drop back off. When I applied more throttle the rpm gauge showed increased rpm's but no there was no additional power.
This same thing happened about six weeks ago and then all of the sudden it began to run fine...

Thanks,

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
90% of problems are fuel related. It sounds like fuel starvation. Replace your fuel filters, they could be clogged. If that does not do it disconnect the fuel line and blow back into the tank to make sure the tank's pick up tube screen is not clogged.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
What engine work have you done lately?
As Benny posted could be fuel starvation due to clogged filters. Could also be a clogged vent on the fuel tank or air in the lines. The latter being likely if you recently did any fuel line work.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
FlimFlam, With a boat name like "Aphrodite" what is not to love....
How did you get a Swedish designed Danish built boat on lake Coeur d'Alene?
Plus 1 for Benny. That would be the direction I would explore.

Aug 24, 2014
Filters replaced, blew back on the line from the fuel tank. The vent for the fuel tank is inside a stanchion so as a quick alternative, I opened the cap on the top of the tank. Used the fuel manual lift pump to try and bleed any air and still have the same problem. Could it be that after opening all the lines and replacing the filters I just still have some air left in the lines?

Thanks,

Aug 24, 2014
jssailem,

The boat was purchased new from Denmark back in 1980 and then delivered to Cda. The first owner, a good friend, owned it until he passed away back in 2004 Unfortunately, he didn't really care much for upkeep and when he got sick it sat unused for about six years... Lots of issues... The restoration has been slow but fun.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I had a 1gm with a similar problem. I pulled the fuel pick up tube out of the tank and found a load of crap in it. Cleaned it out and all was well.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the condition of the fuel. Follow the fuel lines to try and detect any leaks, a spot of fuel on a line connector is a place where air will get in when the engine is shutoff.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
FF unfortunately that is nature of boats. For awhile they are all important. Then like girlfriends (sometimes) they loose there shine. That's the time to either marry them or set them free.

I have a boat like that. I'm readying it for some extended sailing in the Pacific NW. Sold my Montgomery 15 to a guy up in your neighborhood. So if you see a M15 on the lake say Hi to Stan.

Weak connections can let air into the lines. When your pumping you may get mostly fuel. When they sit the air can get in and if given enough time replace the fuel in the line.

Sailm8 made a good point. As fuel degrades you can get a goo (asphaltine? ) form from the microbes. It can plug up the lines. I have found it in the bends and connections of the fuel lines. Pull/blow it out. I found the
Biobor Diesel Biocide JF to help.

Aug 24, 2014
Question - I've cracked open one of the screw heads and begun using the manual lift pump. When I do this should i see/hear any bubbles coming from around the head of the screw or should it be a solid stream of fuel with no bubbles or noise. Is this an indication there is still air in the line?

Thanks,

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
You want solid fuel. Bubbles means air. Keep pumping.

Aug 24, 2014
It does appear it was a fuel starvation issue. After taking the steps mentioned above it's running much better. Thanks for all the suggestions.