Yanmar SB8 no water out of exhaust

Dec 25, 2023
Hunter 27 Camden, SC
Hunter 27 yanmar SB8. No water is coming out of the exhaust. Trying to troubleshoot, could use some help. New boat owner making my way down ICW to FL. Thank you!!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Is your water pump functioning? Did the engine overheat? Is the alternator working?

Welcome to the forum! :beer:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Simple things first.

Is the sea cock open?
Is the raw water filter clean?
Is the through hull clean, not filled with barnacles etc or weeds and grass?
When was the the water pump impeller last serviced/replaced?

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Holly
Here is a simplified diagram of your raw water cooling system.
1703562829804.png

Starting from water in you have the valve.
This could be closed.
Blocked with marine growth or waste like a plastic bag.
Strainer. This could be blocked and just needs a clean. It takes a big load to block a good strainer.
Pump. this could have a slipping belt (you should hear the squeal)
A broken or jumped off belt. (easily noticed)
A damaged or worn impeller. ( this like a rubber internal propeller)
Disconnect the hose at X and turn over the engine.
No water?
Disconnect at points leading back to valve.

gary

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Is there a small fitting on the mixing elbow where the water is injected into the exhaust? Mine had a small bronze elbow that would clog up with salt crystals. I would pull the hose and ream out the fitting with a small screwdriver. Sometimes I needed to remove the fitting to get to both sides of the elbow. I finally replaced it with a straight fitting. It was much easier to clean out. While the hose is off, crank the engine. Lots of water should come out. If not, I'd take my hose off the input side of the strainer and put my air horn on it. A couple of honks would clear the line back to the through hull. You'll hear the bubbles under the boat. If that still doesn't result in water flow then as suggested above check the strainer basket and finally the raw water pump.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
it would help to know the following : (I note your 1st email was sent at 2:22 am)
were you motoring w/ engine on when you 1st noticed no water coming from exhaust? for how long?
how soon after you noticed no water out of the exhaust did you shut down the engine ?
did the engine overheat alarm ever sound ? (on some Yan panels the overheat alarm tests itself when you turn the key to ON before starting the diesel)
how long after alarm sounded did you shut down the engine ?
do you have a spare water pump impeller for this engine , and either some pliers or a jabsco impeller puller ?
last question --what's the harbor closest to you with a diesel mechanic?