Yanmar rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2006
- - Oakville ON
When running on power only my 376 cruises at 6 knots at 2,800 rpm. I have an adjustable 3 blade Max Prop and I am considering adjusting it to the next higher pitch. I would appreciate to hear others speed to rpm experience and what is the max rpm for an extended time ? The Yanmar Operation Manual states "Continuous rating output" of 34.9 hp @ 3,400 rpm, but that seems to be a high rpm to run at. Comments please. Thanks. Ray

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
80 Percent of Max RPM

Trust your manual. The west coast Yanmar distributor said keep it in the range of 80% of you max RPM rating which you should be able to achieve if you are propped correctly. These diesels are designed to run at those RPM's and like to; less deposits, etc. At least that's what he said, and is consistent from reports of others on this board who have attended classes in other areas. Rick D.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
What Model Engine Do You Have?

And...does your engine smoke (black) at that rpm while under load?

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Hull Speed ?

With your hull speed of 7.58 (1.34* sqrt(LWL)) and no smoke you may be slightly underpropped. Overpropped would generate black smoke. IMHO, you may not be generating the necessary thrust (at 80% of max rpm) to achieve hull speed. Looks like time to experiment with it. My 3-cyl Yanmar (3HM35F) has a top rpm of 3400 (80%=2720rpm) and I just make it with the standard 2-blade prop.

J

Jim2

full rpm

What rpm does the engine achieve when at full throttle in neutral also in gear and up to speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.