yanmar repower upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnydvr

Jan 26, 2009
caravell 20 nj
I have an 81' 27ft sloop with a1GM-10 yanmar,it was siezed when I bought her and need to replace it.question is this,I want more power and a bigger motor is my choice.Does anyone one what motor will fit and HOW big can I go?,The north atlantic can be a mother when she turns snottty and I would like to know when I have to fight a strong head wind,that I will be gaining ground rather than treading water.I've contacted hunter and all I got was typical,we have no info to give you.I would like to do this with minimal modifications,as long as the trans will bolt in,I can adapt the rest.Can anyone give me some insight?I've swapped and upgraded every powerboat I ever owned and it was just "go with your imagination.HELP ? :confused:

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would think a 2gm would be your best option. They are available used and rebuilt. A new engine would cost you more than the value of your boat.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
May I first suggest you change your font? That BOLD BLUE is very painful to read.

My first suggestion would be to overhaul the present engine. It is more than enough power for that boat under most conditions. Also, the 1GM is very easy to overhaul in situ, provided you have the room. It has an access cover to reach the rod bolts, you pull off the head and remove the piston, rod and liner and can completely overhaul the top end or repair as needed. For maybe less than $500 you might have an almost new engine.

Second suggestion would be to follow Steve's suggestion by locating the next up in size Yanmar. By staying with the same make you should have less trouble making the swap. I cant find the link, but the guys here often speak of some guy up in Wisconsin who deals in a lot of used sailboat drives.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
6 years ago, repowered 1984 h27 from westerbeke 10two to a Yanmar 2YM15 (new). Only mod was to raise stringers ~2-3 inches. Engine weight is very close to original. Max engine rpm=4000, reach hull speed, 6.25 mph (with clean hull & prop) at about 2600 rpm. Can push upto about 7 mph. Cruise about 6mph @25-2700 with over 15 mpg (no sail) or about 3 hr/gal. I needed power in Cape Fear River with tide/currents running over 4 mph at times. Now have over 2200 hours on - just cleaned out mixing elbow and replaced SW pump, but still running sweet. Planning Wilmington, NC to West Point, Hudson River trip this spring. Added hot water with new engine. Great boat.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I like the idea of overhauling your current engine but if you are dead set on going to a 2-cylinders, I would agree that a Yanmar would probably make things easier for you. Steve is right a new engine will set you back more than you want to put on the boat. Anchorclanker reference in WI is Schooner Bay Imported Motors in Bayfield, WI. (715) 779 3266. holzralf@yahoo.com Al Holzer owns the place and he stands behind the engines he builds. I bought a 3GM30F from him in 09 and have been extremely satisfied. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.