Yanmar Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnJ

Mar 17, 2008
Hunter 31_83-87 Beesley's Pt.
I am looking for a service manual for the 1984 Yanmar 2GM20F motor. I do have the original owners manual. First off, I need to know how to change the oil. Maybe I have to look again, but i didn't see a drain plug. Do I draw it out with a pump and if so, through what access? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ted in NJ.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
You can buy all the Yanmar

manuals from Marine Diesel Direct. See link. I change the oil in my 2GM20F by slipping the small diameter tube of a Par brass handpump down the oil dipstick hole. I put the other end into a plastic gallon bottle, which sits in a large trash bag. I do that as I have had the discharge end of the pump come out of the bottle now and then and oil goes everywhere. Anyway....start up your engine and get the oil warm first. When pumping out the old oil, move the small tube around a bit to make sure you get as much of the old oil out as possible. Take off the oil fill cap on the top of the engine first. After the oil is out, don't forget to replace the oil filter, too. I put a small plastic pan under the filter, then slip a baggie over it and begin to turn it off. Have some paper towels handy to clean up spilled oil. Clean up the boss on the filter screw, lube a new filter and screw it on. Replace the old oil with 2 litres of new oil. I use SAE 15w40 Delo 400 made by Chevron for the engine, and SAE 30w oil for the trans. Hope this helps.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Tempo or Moeller work great

We have tried several oil extractors over the years. The pros use an electric pump that is mounted on the lid of a bucket. These are sort of expensive for the guy that only needs to do it once a year. The Big Boy Topsider worked for a while and then it would not hold a vacuum. Our latest & greatest unit is the Moeller/Tempo units. The have semi rigid tubes that go down the dip stick hole and they do a very good job of sucking the oil out. There are other manuals that you can purchase for your engine. The local Yanmar dealers can provide you with a factory manual.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Clymer offers a Yanmar Diesel Inboard Shop Manual

for about 1/3 of the cost of a factory manual. It is the #B800 in their catalog. Look up www.clymer.com. I covers 1,2 and 3 cylinder engines and has a maintenance and trouble shooting sections. The oil is suctioned through the filler tube. There are a number of pumps available but stay away from the cheaper ones which are cumbersome to operate and mostly create a mess. I use a vacum canister where an air pump just creates a vacum which draws the oil out by itself. The line fitting to the canister is threaded so it makes a leak free connection. Inserting the line into the bottom of the crankcase pan is like driving a plumbing snake. A vacum will not form until the line is immersed in the oil. Clean the line after every use and it will be ready for storage and your next use. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.