Yanmar KM2A un-serviceable? Also need transmission basics too.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Bearings and seals are pretty much standard parts and usually can be sourced through folks like Motion Industries.. A quick look-see on Toad Marine's web site says that they have many of the "wear" parts like the gears and drive cones for that gearbox.. Your rebuilder should be able to rebuild it for a lot less than a repower would cost.. good luck !

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For boat use, I'm honestly at the level of a kid who found a deal on a toy. This is somewhat of an experiment in boat ownership. I think I'm doing pretty daggum well as far as ROI in fun and money (money in the boat itself)... but those slip fees! Makes me want to open my own marina. There's no flipping anything that lives in a slip.
Slightly off topic, while slip fees can be high, the profit margin for marinas is pretty slim. The insurance fees alone will be quite high, especially in Florida. Marinas make a little money off each service they provide, slip leases, transients, haul out and service, fuel. Without all of those services they go out of business. When they do, developers often step in and turn the marina into a condo complex and make a whole lot more money. Or the marinas go high end, offering a lot of amenities and squeeze out the middle class, so they can entertain the wealthy.

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
Hunter 31, 1983 Panama City
Well golly gee. I found a mechanic to get the trans out, shipped to the service center, and got an initial estimate of $3,500!! That's $1,100 labor, $1,400 cone, $250 coupling, and 21 miscellaneous components. I wasn't expecting it to cost as much as a car transmission!... I put the thing in the box with one hand.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well golly gee. I found a mechanic to get the trans out, shipped to the service center, and got an initial estimate of $3,500!! That's $1,100 labor, $1,400 cone, $250 coupling, and 21 miscellaneous components. I wasn't expecting it to cost as much as a car transmission!... I put the thing in the box with one hand.
That's a pretty expensive and extensive rebuild. :yikes: Did you ask about a new one? It might run a little more money, but new may be better. Was this from East Coast Marine Transmissions?

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
Hunter 31, 1983 Panama City
That's a pretty expensive and extensive rebuild. :yikes: Did you ask about a new one? It might run a little more money, but new may be better. Was this from East Coast Marine Transmissions?
I called to make sure they received it. I caught them just as they got done assessing it. It sounds like this is somewhat of a preliminary quote and still has to be checked by the senior mechanic. The 7.5 hours of labor and that cone are the big ticket items. I'll be getting a call from the manager I've been talking to do discuss all the options.

This is Mastry Engine Center in Clearwater, FL.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WOW!... That makes the $4K I paid for my V-Drive Borg-Warner transmission rebuild sound like a steal.

The just removed 200lb transmission heading to the shop.
1709344826052.jpeg