Yanmar gear position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
Mack Boring says that the Yanmar advisory on putting gear into neutral applies only to new engines.

I called and talked to their service mgr since my engine manual says to sail with the transmission in reverse. He said the new transmissions are different and need to be put in neutral.

Allan

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
Whoa...

The Yanmar directive several months ago was unambiguous about remaining in neutral, albeit many of us disgree logically and on engineering grounds. I remember the language as being specific and clear. Nothing was mentioned about new models. Notwithstanding Mack Boring's excellect reputation, can we get a clarification from Yanmar?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Hi,
I am the moderator of the Technical Questions Forum of the Legend Owners Association here in the UK and I wrote to Yanmar HQ in Japan on 8th May about this issue. My letter was quite long and it is in the third response on:- http://forum.legendowners.com/index.php?topic=942.0
Yanmar's reply of 26th May is shown below where they promised a reply in early July:-

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your inquiry to YANMAR.
Advisory Number: MSA08-003, is representing YANMAR's decision to your
inquiry
at present moment. According to your inquiry to us, the related people in
YANMAR started further investigation and study on this issue. YANMAR will
try
to inform you of the result around beginning of July.

Thank you again for giving us a chance to verify the issue to confirm our
customers$B!G(B satisfaction.

Best regards
Yoshimura
Customer Center, YANMAR Japan

Please send your question to the URL from which we replied in the past.
$B!J(BWith regards to your inquiry, we regret to inform you that
we can no longer receive enquiries at this address. $B!K(B

http://ymrweb2.yanmar.co.jp/group/hp-faq.nsf/EN_re-input.htm?Open&E5E1F432E312F9834925772B0050D117

Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Yanmar Website.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
>How new is "new"?

Mack Boring was vague on that. The Advisory was dated 2/08 and the Advisory was to distributors and referred to warranty claims. This suggests that the concern was with transmissions built starting a few years before 08. But Yanmar was not clear on that.

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.