Yanmar fuel filter/pump question

Aug 18, 2018
Tartaan Tartan 30 Plymouth
Hello,

I am changing out the ancient fuel filter on my Yanmar 2gm with a Racor 120 screw-on type filter.
For logistical purposes, I am moving it to another spot that will provide easier access when doing filter changes. The new location, however, would put the intake port as much as 5 inches above the level of the bottom of the fuel tank and pickup tube.
So, will the fuel pump be able to handle the extra load? It seems like a minor adjustment, but I would not rather take a guess.
Bonus question: I've been thinking about going with a Racor 500 MA. It is quite a bit larger than what is required, but I'm thinking that it would have greater capacity for dirt and water and would require fewer filter changes. At $10 less per filter the added cost of the unit would cancel out after a few years.

Thank you, all.
Joe Beagle

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The "lift pump" will not have a problem with that small of a lift. Pump specification is for 1.16 PSI lift at engine idle. That translates to around 3 feet of lift for diesel. Things to consider: The connections on the filter in new location will be at negative pressure so any tiny air leak will pull enough air in to stop the engine/require bleeding.. The gaskets on the filter have to be perfect or air will get in..
You'll have to fill the new filter with diesel before spinning it on to get as much air out as possible..
Should be fine..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My fuel filter is about 12 inches above my tank ( I also have a 2GM20). No problems with it pulling fuel.

Greg

Aug 18, 2018
Thank you, all.
I'm new to diesels, so I'm still feeling my way. It's great to have a site like this.
Joe Beagle

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I went with the Racor turbine with 2 micron filters. Over kill for my 2GM20F, but so easy to access and change filters, and keep an eye on the fuel via the clear bowl on the bottom. Although many go with a larger primary filter to smaller secondary, I prefer the 2 micron right up front where it's easy to change. Fill the bowl up with diesel after the filter swap and most times you don't even need to bleed.
My two cents.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Check out ebay for Racor type filter housings. I bought one and it looks as good as a Racor.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Handy thread. I need to replace my Racor 110 (superseded by the 110a) someday. It is discontinued so parts are hard to find. I can still get filters for now.

Aug 18, 2018
I went with the Racor turbine with 2 micron filters. Over kill for my 2GM20F, but so easy to access and change filters, and keep an eye on the fuel via the clear bowl on the bottom. Although many go with a larger primary filter to smaller secondary, I prefer the 2 micron right up front where it's easy to change. Fill the bowl up with diesel after the filter swap and most times you don't even need to bleed.
My two cents.
Mickstr,
How often do you have to change your primary filter? And, how often does it collect enough water so that you have to drain it?
Your 2-micron choice makes good sense to me. The secondary can be a real pain to change out.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Mickstr,
How often do you have to change your primary filter? And, how often does it collect enough water so that you have to drain it?
Your 2-micron choice makes good sense to me. The secondary can be a real pain to change out.
I change it once a year, unless I need to change it more frequently. For the last 3 years though, it's once in the spring, just, because. I do keep an eye on the bowl though for water and/or contaminants.
When I add fuel from a gerry can, I use a Baha filter to ensure minimal to no water or crap gets in....

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I also use a 2 micron filter in a Racor 500 with my Yanmar 4JH4

1) I change it every 250 hours at the oil change. It normally has life left. I have a pressure gauge on the filter housing. It is barely into the “yellow” at 250 hours.

2) A Racor 500 has a 60GPH rating. Most sailboats don’t use 60 gallons in a month. At my 250 hour oil change, my Racor has only filtered 400 gallons of fuel. Really nothing for this high capacity filter.

3) But this all changes if you pick up bad fuel. I’ve only had this happen once in 10 years cruising Maine to the Bahamas but that time was awful. I was then using 30 micron elements in the Racor. Whatever was in the fuel went right past Racor (the element looked clean) and clogged the 5 Micron Yanmar filter on the engine. This happened 10 hours after getting the fuel at 2AM in mid Gulf-stream.

In my boat, changing the Racor filter is a 5 minute job. Changing the Yanmar at sea means leaning over a hot engine, burns, spilling fuel, and takes the better part of an hour. Oh - and the seasickness from being partly upside down in a tight space as the boat rolled.

I bought a case of 2 microns Racors when we got to shore and used 8 of them running through that bad tank of fuel. But the Yanmar filter didn’t clog again (and I only change it now every two years as it really does nothing being 5 micron). As others have memtioned, the low ($12) cost of Racor 500 elements saves money in the long run. I keep a case aboard in case I pick up another bad tank.

Yanmar frowns on using the 2 microns claiming the strain can damage the fuel pump. I’ve never heard of this happening to a sailboat that’s drawing 1/10th the fuel of a planing powerboat (which are most of Yanmar’s customers) If you are worried, install a pressure gauge on the Racor like I did.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes I went with the Racor 500 many years ago and yes they are pricey but they are so easy to change and the filter is so much cheaper and they work great and over a few years the high cost is not so bad and you will not be sorry and so happy you did the 500.
Nick