Yanmar for H40

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JC

The Yanmar engines fitted to the Hunter 40 (84-89 think) have a reputation for blowing a bit of consistent smoke. Anyone know why or if it is a problem long term?

Jul 1, 2004
Hunter 40 St. Petersburg
Anthem is an '85 H40

that we purchased in 2000 with a 4JHE that had under 800 hours on it. The p.o. acknowledged that he rarely ran the engine at more than 2000 rpm. Here's my observations and I'll let smarter people draw conclusions. On purchase survey it heavily smoked a white smoke with a tint of blue when under load and above 2K rpm. It started and performed fine. We motor-cruised at 2800 and over the first year the smoking decreased dramatically. For the next three years it smoked little, if at all, when used under load once warmed up. When accumulating hours charging batts under low load at anchor it will smoke heavily for the first 10 minutes under load as we power away from anchor. Afterwards, the smoke dissappears. The engine consumes one quart of engine oil every 35-50 hours under load (as per my maintenance logs.) The performance of the 4JHE has ALWAYS been flawless. Hope this helps.

mthood

Jun 4, 2004
- - Columbia River Gorge
a little

Our 86 H40 smokes a little and goes through a little oil now and then, but nothing bad. We had a diesel mechanic look at the Yanmar and he pronounced it very fit. We had to motor down the Washington Coast once from Seattle to Astoria, Or and the engine performed wonderfully and actually smoked less with more usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.