Yanmar for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric

With the end of the second season upon me with our 1978 Hunter 30, I am feeling more confident (and I feel as though I should know these things anyway) to winterize my Yanmar (2GM 20-F). Last season I had the marina do this for me. I know how to send antifreeze through the intake (pretty simple and I read on this site about the plunger head trick ... pretty smart) so this is simple. My questions surround more the "regular" maintenance of a diesel engine. What to look out for, changing the oil and the filters ... turn this ... don't turn that. Etc. Has anyone seen/written a guidebook for these systems that is easier to read than the 500-page Yanmar manual? I can't even find the oil pan in this thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Eric

S

S. Sauer

Yanmar Engine Manuals

There are a couple manuals available. I was unable to get a Clymer publication, so I got a Seloc Yanmar Inboards Repair Manual (applicable to my 2GM20F). Check out http://store.yahoo.om/motobooks/yanmar.html. Winterizing is relatively easy for air filter, antifreeze and an oil change. If you change the antifreeze mixture in the heat exchanger side, it needs to be compatible with aluminum and steel parts, while antifreeze for the seawater side could be the -50 degree potable (pink stuff) to handle the anticipated temperature drop. The oil needs to be a heavy duty Diesel grade and viscosity listed in the manual by temperature range. However,if you have not replaced your primary and secondary fuel filters and been shown how to bleed the lines, you may want to have the marina do it WHILE YOU WATCH AND TAKE NOTES. It's not that difficult, however innocent mistakes can cause get you in deeper than you want to be. The Yanmar owner's manual which came with my 2GM20F shows a method of bleeding the high pressure pump (at the high pressure fuel line caps instead of at the opposite end at the injectors). The Seloc Manual shows an easier more clearly understood set of directions. There is also a web site at www.yanmarhelp.com if you need more specific info.

D

Debra B

Things to check

Calder has a book on marine diesels, and others are available. Don't forget to check and replace the transmission fluid. Some yanmars just use crank case oil, others call for automatic transmission fluid - depends on the transmission. Check the manual for your model. Check the water separator filter - if it has a clear bowl this is easy - to see if you have water in your fuel. Check the filter iteslf - you should have 2 fuel filters. (Water and dirty fuel are the main problems I have had with my diesel. Had my tank cleanned and the fuel filtered.) Check the pumps for the raw water and the coolant. Rubber parts wear out.

B

Bill O'Donovan

Too tight

Don't overtighten any screws, bolts, etc. In many cases the casings are alumnimum and are easily stripped. This happens a lot with the fuel pumps. Snug is fine and better to err on the side of leakage, which you can always snug up a tad.

K

Ken Palmer

A website you might try

Point your browser to http://www.yanmarhelp.com/index.htm to see if that adds a little more then you care to know. A lot of helpful information contained. Ken Palmer, S/V Water Colors

E

Eric

Looks like I'll have the marina do it again ...

All this advice sounds simple enough but for another $75 I can have them do it and know that it's done right ... right? I'll watch but the last thing I want to do it put something back wrong or too tight or too loose or too anything. I love my Yanmar too much.

R

Rick Webb

Maybe, But How Will You Know

If you pay them $100 and a case of beer maybe the mechanic will teach you and you can do it yourself next time. If not you would have a much better idea if it was done properly next time someone else does it.

J

Jim A

Easy

Many people change the oil to have nice clean oil in the winter. Of course they change it again in the spring. Many people top off fuel tanks in the winter to keep water out. I do the opposite and put them away close to empty. In the spring I drain the old fuel out completely and use it in the home oil burner. Then I pump new fuel in the boat before it get in the water. Treat rust spots then paint. Spray the engine down with a water repellant. Replace air and fuel filter in spring.

J

Jim A

Re: Looks like I'll have the marina do it again ..

Wrong! Do you trust them! They may have a 15 yr old kid doing. Of course I'm the type that still changes the oil in my car!

J

Jim Sharpe

A Sister Ship

Let's talk about our boats as I'm buying a 1978 30 foot hunter. I would like to know how you like your boat. Jim

R

Robin Colson

Don't drain the oilpan

We suggest that you buy the Chilton version of the yanmar diesel engines. Easy to read and understand. You do not drain the oilpan but suck out through the oil fill hole. This is recommended because of location and inability to re-torque. You should only use yanmar filters as recommended by a deisel expert who taught us alot about doing it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.