Yanmar engine

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Our 2006 yanmar has about 500 hours on it and it suddenly has reduced power, can't get more than about 2000rpm , in the past a fouled prop has caused similar effect but the prop is clean.
We have checked the fuel filter on the engine and it looks clean. Are there any other filters hidden away ?

Any ideas out there please ...?

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
Mine did the same thing. The exhaust elbow got clogged with soot, probably due to idling a lot. Before you bother the valves, go to the exhaust port on the stern and feel the exhaust force with your hands. As someone increases throttle, you won't feel a lot more exhaust, indicating the engine is being restricted. I believe we just cleaned the elbow, but we may have replaced it.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Have you checked the Racor filter under the aft berth by the shaft log? On my 2006 there are 2 filters, The Racor and a small in line filter on the engine.

Oct 29, 2013
Catalina 309 Port Moresby
Our 2006 yanmar has about 500 hours on it and it suddenly has reduced power, can't get more than about 2000rpm , in the past a fouled prop has caused similar effect but the prop is clean.
We have checked the fuel filter on the engine and it looks clean. Are there any other filters hidden away ?

Any ideas out there please ...?
Yes. it is almost certainly the exhaust elbow. It make the valves rattle but this will go away as soon as you replace the exhaust elbow. Don't bother cleaning it - it will be totally fouled and full of rust. I got a new one and excellent advice from Minnards diesel people in Sydney. Make sure you get the bent elbow system as the engine is below the waterline. It is a little bit dirty but quite doable yourself - I did it recently.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Thanks for all the feed back , new elbow on order.
Is it normal for the problem to be sudden, I would of thought it would be a gradual thing as the outlet became more restricted over time .

Oct 29, 2013
Catalina 309 Port Moresby
Yes, mine also pretty suddenly clogged up. I also noticed black soot in the exhaust - particularly when I tried to add more power.

The diesel mechanic suggested that a major cause is lack of use.
By just idling out of the marina, and then the advantage of in-mast furling, we have sails up quickly and away. The reverse at the end of the day.
He reckons this very light use at relatively low revs encourages a build up in the diesel motor. He recommended a long relatively high speed long trip every month or so. But I have not done this - if you are on the boat - then sail it.

Also the 'bent elbow' system used on the Catalina looks like it encourages build up. I bought the wrong Yanmar outlet first up - it is a straight, slightly bent piece of stainless with a water inlet. It seems a much more efficient way to exhaust and would not clog up, also nice smooth stainless. However, the correct part for below waterline motors is a clunky thing of cast metal which you fit with a range of threaded fittings. All in all not a smooth removal of exhaust gas.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Well it was definitely the exhaust elbow, apparently they clog up in Sydney after about 6 years but as little as 3 years in warmer water.

image-3580986525.jpg

image-2509415877.jpg

image-3050145131.jpg

The new one is still on order but just cleaning this one has got our revs back to 3500 rpm

Thanks for all your feed back