Yanmar engine compartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The top one is an inlet raw water strainer. A good one.

The bottom one is a diesel fuel filter.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
seriously? Top one is the sea water strainer, the bottom is the primary fuel filter. Both require periodic maintenance.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
MJ mercer.. That re-power is really good looking .. Looks like the previous owner had his head on correctly when he put the sea water strainer and Racor diesel filter where they could be serviced .. That new Yanmar looks great in there.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
What I would like to know is where can I find one of thowes new pully safety covers ?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Cool Air.. Easy.. it comes on the front of the nifty new Yanmar 3YM30 that someone put into the 37.. I guess maybe the part is available by itself, though..

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Cool Air.. Easy.. it comes on the front of the nifty new Yanmar 3YM30 that someone put into the 37.. I guess maybe the part is available by itself, though..
So I need to buy a new engine? But my 2002 3gm yanmar runs just fine. All I want is that safety guard.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
FYI: From the picture it looks like the Racor filter is missing a metal heat guard on the translucent bowl which I believe is required if the filter is located in the same space as the engine.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I also have a racor 500 with the plastic bowl in the engine compartment. It seems that a metal bowl is required by the Coast Guard on commercial vessels but not pleasure vessels, if located in the engine room. The ABYC addresses the amount of allowable fuel that can potentially leak from a filter. Maybe Maine Sail can elaborate on the subject.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
The top one is an inlet raw water strainer. A good one.

The bottom one is a diesel fuel filter.

Mine are swapped in position. Much easier to drain off the water in the bottom of the fuel bowl and to pop the lid on the strainer. At least, I seem to make less of a mess this way, especially when I have had to address both in a seaway.

Mar 30, 2009
Hunter Cherubini 37-cutter Bayfield, Lake Huron
My 37c water strainer is on the bottom-left.

when I launched the boat in the spring, my bilge pump went off, and I heard some gurgling noise then saw water pouring underneath the grate at the bottom of the steps.

I forgot to fully tighten the top of that water strainer :doh:. Having it high up is not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.