yanmar diesel won't turn over ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bryan

the 1976 27' i'm looking at is priced to sell as though thier is no engine !? owner says it won't turn over ? too much to re-build if there is a serious problem ? or go for an outboard ? thanks for your help !

G

Griffin

Yanmar Issues

Don't panic! I had a Yanmar once that wouldn't turn over. If it simply is not firing, this should not be an issue...you may be looking at rings or even esier, tuning the injectors (no, you can't do that yourself and it is about $100/injector) If it is stuck...Here is what I did: Pull the injectors and combustion bowls then spray in WD40 or pour in some Miracle Oil. Now try cranking after a few hours without the injectors or combustion bowls in place. If that doesn't work, pour in Miracle Oil and wait a few days. Try to turn over again. If that doesn't work, pull the head, place a 8-12" long 2x4 or 4x4. Place the board sqarely on each piston and give the end a few whacks with a small single-handed sledge. Now try turning it over again. If that doesn't work, you probably have a new mooring anchor after removing the fluids and degreasing it. Fair Winds! Griffin. s/v Brighid's Crossing

B

bryan

thanks for the info

i'll see what happens , i'll let you know ! thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.