Yanmar Diesel start Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barrie McDonald

My Hunter Legend 37 has a Yanmar Diesel engine, model 3 HM 35 (F)(C). Sometimes after pushing the starter button to engage the starter motor nothing happens. I push the button a couple of more times and away she starts. Anyone know what might be wrong? I'm thinking maybe I didn't push hard enough on the button in the first place as it has some pressure behind it. Thanks in advance Barrie

K

Ken Morse

Check wire connections

I would first check the wire connections behind the switch. Make sure tight and clean. "Morsecode"

P

Pete

starter buton

there was just a recent post on this subject and lots of info in the archives,starter button being one cause as well as what has maybe been the most common cure is to replace the wire from the starter button to the starter seloniod with a larger gauge wire.Check in the archives.

E

Ed Schenck

Could be this.

See Related Link. It is the latest thread of this problem which we have seen here for the six years that I have been hanging around. :)

L

Larry W.

starter button

Barrie; Could be that the switch is just old and needs to be replaced.

C

Chris McLoughlin

Could be . . .

The button, could be the stearter. chances are it is a cable connection to the battery or the battery switch. Chris s/v TideSong

P

Paul F.

Put in a relay

I had a similar problem last year. After intalling a new starter button-switch, the problem was still there. The real problem is the distance from the battery to the switch and back again to the starter. By placing a relay, purchased at Radio Shack close to the starter the problem has been solved. The low current sent from the starter button-switch to the relay is more than enough to power the relay to do the real work of sending current to engage the starter. The starter system always works now.

G

Gord May

Start Relays

such as the Blue Sea #9012 (E-Series Electronic Switch) are "Normally Open" devices. If they fail, you won't start - so prepare yourself to use a jumper accross the High Amp terminals in that case. Regards, Gord

S

Scott

SAME PROBLEM

I just ran an 8# wire directly from the starter button to the starter selinoid. Fixed the problem. Not even local Yanmar mechanic had the solution which I found on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.