Yanmar coolant

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
I'm unable to locate Yanmar coolant YG30, it appears to be replaced by YG30R. Are these the same product, compatible, or perhaps a different glycol?
Dale

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have used Havoline Xtended life coolant(orange color) in my Yanmar 3YM30. It is an alternative coolant recommended by Yanmar.
Last time I replaced the coolant, I had difficulty locating it; purchased a one gallon container from Amazon; however, It is only available from Amazon in a package on 6 one gallon containers presently. Not available at the local auto parts stores. Will check at a local Chevron store.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
If I'm remembering correctly, YG30R is the updated nitrite-free version of YG30, for better aluminum protection. I imagine they are "compatible" in that they are both OAT type coolants (I think). But don't quote me on that. God knows, finding definitive coolant information seems about impossible. I switched to Rotella ELC NF last fall after having a hard time finding YG30R concentrate. As far as I can tell, it's similar to the YG30R. They're both red at least.

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
OK thanks all, good information. A bit more effort and I found that both are the usual glycol product and harmful to the environment.
The local dealer seems to have a good deal of the YG30R but is not helpful regarding the YG30 (which he sold to me a year ago and now
claims total unfamiliarity with the project). Concur it seems absurdly difficult to get any details regarding coolants for marine diesels!
Dale

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Was able to order Havoline Xtended Life anti freeze / coolant on Ebay. One gallon concentrate for $23.90 including shipping & Tax
Mix concentrate with distilled water to makeup two gallons.

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
I'll look into that product, like the price, Yanmar's
product is $61.00/gal (Canadian dollars)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yanmar does not make coolant, call an authorized Yanmar Parts Distributor and find out what they recommend. I been buying products off the shelf for years. The good stuff, not the cheap stuff.