Yanmar Blue Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie

1989 Hunter Vision 32 with a 3 cylinder Yanmar. The engine has been running fine until just 2 days ago when it started blowing blue smoke at around 2000 RPM and above. It is a lot of smoke. The following things that have been done recently: adjust the valves, check the injectors and change the engine oil. Note: It is impossible to find a CC rated oil as specified in the owners manual, so I used 40 wt Shell Rotela. The mechanic that adjusted the valves forgot to reconnect the crankcase breather tube but there was no change after reconnecting it. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

G

CC or Better

My manual says CD oil. A Yanmar rep told me to using CD or higher rated oil is OK to use. That is to say CD, CE... and up is OK to use.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check you manual again.

Charlie: I think that the industry is just upgrading the oils regularly so a higher rated oil should be fine. I believe that they recommend 30wt oil for these engines not 40. Someone on the site said that Yanmar now allows multigrade oils to be used with these engines. I have not been able to verify this yet. Blue smoke is usually an indication of burning oil. I wonder if there is just some excess oil in the top end of the engine that it is still being burned? How long has the engine been run since the breather tube has been reconnected?

B

Bryan C.

Diesel oil

I would not run regular gasoline engine oil in a diesel engines. Diesels run at a higher compression and need oils designed for it. I don't now if the Shell Rotell is diesel rated but if not I would drain the motor and replace the oil. I buy Chevron Delo 400 SAE 15-40 at Wal-mart (blue bottle). It is a diesel rated oil. (The "C" in the Cx rating indicates compression engine, I believe.) Some say you should use only a single grade oil (per Yanmar manual), but the grade you need depends on the climate (higher it hot climes and lower in cold), and I am with the group that believes that a multigrade offers the best overall protection for your motor. Blue smoke does indicate buring oil. This is pushing the limit of my knowledge, but I believe that usually it is because oil is blowing thru the sides of the pistons and into the combustion chamber. If the appearance of blue smoke was sudden as you indicate, it may indicate that a piston ring stuck, allowing oil to pass thru. I would limit use of the engine until the problem is resolved. If you don't have a manual, I would buy both the Yanmar manual and the Sealoc Yanmar manual (available on bookseller websites). Both are good resources that will help you understand the possible causes of your problem.

J

John K Kudera

Check this Too

HI, Two more possibilities, something in the oil return passages not allowing the oil to return to the crankcase oil pan, or possibly overfilled?

Status
Not open for further replies.