yanmar alternator connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
This first picture is similar to my current alternator with the harness wiring which I believe is a around going to the E terminal, the connector going into the Hitachi 35 amp alternator and the large red cable going to the B terminal.

ForumRunner_20121021_222220.jpg

Here is another yanmar alternator which I acquired from eBay since previous owner immediately upgraded. It's 60 amp and was hoping to hook it up since it more fits my needs. I know where the large red wire and connector goes but am uncertain where to hook up the wire I previously had going to the E terminal since nothing is labeled. I don't need a tach hookup but also would like to hook up another heavier ground but not certain where to attach this either.

ForumRunner_20121021_223135.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Alternator

You have to have a "T" shaped male plug that plugs into that female slot on the back of the alt. The "B" lead stays the same. I got one at a local alternator shop, for a couple bucks. You need to check a diagram or ask someone at an alternator shop to see which wire goes where on that plug. I did this swap a few years ago, and I don't remember exactly which is which. If you do it wrong, the alt. will put out full amps and not regulate. I know this for a fact. :)

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Alternator Ground wires?

You have to have a "T" shaped male plug that plugs into that female slot on the back of the alt. The "B" lead stays the same. I got one at a local alternator shop, for a couple bucks. You need to check a diagram or ask someone at an alternator shop to see which wire goes where on that plug. I did this swap a few years ago, and I don't remember exactly which is which. If you do it wrong, the alt. will put out full amps and not regulate. I know this for a fact. :)

I believe the T shaped plug is the same on my old alternator (Hitachi LR135-74) for my 3GMD and new (Hitachi LR160-741) so that's not really an issue. The T shaped plug has two wires; a red/black & Blue/Black which are the same on both alternators.

The other wires that used to go to the E terminal are a ground of some kind for the wiring harness - not sure where to hook this to and where to hook up a larger ground to the chasis of the new Alternator.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Alternator

Blitz, I made the exact same change some time ago, but my memory is weak. The "E" terminal is the ground, and I ran mine to the engine block. The "T" plug is different in some way on the bigger alternator. On mine I first just used the plug as it was, and the alternator would not regulate. I was getting 16+ volts into the system. I don't remember what the change was, other than it was pretty simple. But I had to go to the local alternator shop to get it right. Sorry, but my memory just ain't what it used to be.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
I don't doubt you but there isn't a terminal on the new alternator labeled as E.

I'm think my best bet is to do as you did by bringing both to the local alternator shop and showing them what my current connections are and having them decifer where they are on the new alternator and supply any connectors needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.