Yanmar air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2010
Hunter 36 Vancouver
After much debating as to putting a foam element back in my 3YM30 air filter housing after being without for a year I've decided filtration is important even out on the wild blue.

So, instead of the foam element I've gone to a K&N air filter that fits perfectly on the 3YM30's 1 3/4" intake. I do not have to worry about the foam breaking down, I will probably never have to clean it, it enables the engine to breath better, and it looks less cluttered in the engine compartment.

All I did was cut a 4" SS tube of 1 3/4" OD and 1/16" thickness to attach to both the original rubber tube and the rubber tube on the air filter. FYI...see below info.

Breathing easier now!

K&N air filter RE-0260 - Universal Rubber Filter

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=re-0260

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
The manufacturer doesn't quote pressure drop across filter at any known airflow so how does one know if it will cause too much restriction to the engine's breathing?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Very nice indeed.

Having the original foam filter eventually break down (and pulled in) is one of many, many things that I worry about at night.

Any way to get a U tube manometer (just clear tubing and a tape measure) downstream of the filter to see if you're getting much pressure drop at full throttle ?

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
K&N filters are regarded as very low restriction filters and usually improve performance over the original filter element. If the OP used a K&N similar in size to the original Yanmar it will probably be fine. If the air is being restricted he should see an increase in fuel consumption right away, if it remains as before then I would be happy with this improvement.

Bob

Apr 21, 2010
Hunter 36 Vancouver
YANMAR 3YM30 with K&N Air Filter installed

Installed the K&N air filter on my 3YM30 YANMAR this morning. Better air flow, no more cleaning, no more foam breaking down...it's already a great performing engine...and very miserly on gas. So, anything better is a bonus. Put one of these under your Christmas tree!
And for those with different sized intakes...check out K&N's catalogue.

Cheers! & Enjoy Your Holiday!

Attachments

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Nice upgrade. Will have to check into it in the spring once the ice melts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.