Yanmar 3YM30 Oil plug

Aug 3, 2014
Beneteau 343 San Francisco Bay
This came up on another forum, but the guy never got an answer. On the bottom right side of the oil pan (looking from aft to forward), there is a bolt with a large head (>19mm) which I believe to be an oil drain plug. It is not in the Yanmar diagrams as far as I can tell. Anyway, I have 12+ cm of room under there, can get a pan in, a socket wrench on it, and would like to drain my oil that way, rather than the through-the-dipstick suction method. This is on a 2006 Beneteau 343. Has anybody changed oil via that plug? BTW, I've looked at all the 12v pumps, manual pumps, etc., and will go that way if the "drain bolt" isn't bound to work. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I think maybe I remember seeing this plug but I think it is connected to the dip stick I think
and I have a 2007 3YM30 and maybe that is what you are seeing.
I have heard of special draining pump options for boats but I have been repairing cars
RV's Trucks and boats for many years and less things to go wrong is the way I go now.
The few oil changes I need on my sailboat doesn't make me want to add something like a bottom draining plug setup only because it is hard to get under to the pan to add and always worry what if it leaks and just not easy to get at not like a car or truck.
I heard a story of a Catalina years ago having a drain plug come out and blowing up the engine but don't know who was to blame,some owners have added a drain plug and love it but I am using the dip stick pump out and not a big deal,the filter change is really the pain.
Nick

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
I cannot answer for yanmar engine but I don't think an oil drain plug is something unusual. My Volvo Penta MD2030D certainly has one. After using for some years an oil pump through the dipstick to empty the oil, a couple of years ago, I removed that plug as I wanted to see how good and effective the dipstick method was. The oil left was around only a (soup) spoon of oil coming out of the plug after emptying the oil through the dipstick. No need to say that after this I never bother removing the plug again.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
my yanmar 2gm20f has no drain plug in the pan or my old 2qm15 for that matter

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That is not a drain plug, it is the banjo bolt for the dipstick. Your engine lube oil must be sucked out of the dipstick. Download and read your Yanmar manual. No need for an expensive complicated electric oil pump, a simple manual pump does the job with a few pumps. Crack the oil fill cap open.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
On my 2007 Beneteau 373, I have drained the oil via that bolt that is at the bottom of the dipstick on my Yanmar 3JH4E. No problems with the engine the next season. Be careful not to lose the washer. Tried to do the suction method but was already on the hard and cold Chicago weather made the suction method like sucking molasses thru a straw. I saw nothing in my Yanmar manual that said not to use that bolt. Further, use the Channellock 209 9-Inch Oil Filter and PVC Pliers, I got mine on Amazon for $16 to change the filter. Be careful with it as you can perforate the filter if you squeeze too hard; not a problem if you are removing it of course. I did that on a cheap aftermarket filter while installing the filter. I would not use anything but a genuine Yanmar filter from now on as they are stronger. You do not necessarily need to use the pliers on the new filter, just check for leaks when you are all done.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
I use a vacuum pump with a tube that fits over the dipstick with a piece of tape over the small holes in the tube near the top. I have used a thin tube that threads inside the dipstick but decided the other method works as well.
I initially purchased the special oil filter socket for the old Yanmar filters. When they changed to the shorter filter body they also changed the number of flats on the body so the old socket would not work. I can squeeze a standard swivel grip type wrench on there and get it started now. Helps if the Admiral can reach in from the front and grab the filter when I get it threaded out and hand it to her.

Aug 3, 2014
Beneteau 343 San Francisco Bay
Thanks, Joe. After all was said and done, it looks like the suction method is the best bet. Like your comments about the Admiral. I'm hoping that once I break the filter loose, I can get into a spot where I can have oil rags underneath it while I finish unscrewing it. Went for the $20 oil transfer pump - it's so compact and can easily be stored in the engine compartment. Have a great boating summer.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My 2QM15 has a similar plug on the starboard rear side of the engine. It provides access to the internal oil pick-up tube. That tube extends downward to the bottom rear of the engine crankcase. If your engine is similar, it should serve well as a port to pump out the engine oil. The dip stick tube is too far forward and therefor cannot access the oil collected at the rear of the engine. I do not know why Yanmar does not explain this in their manuals. You still need a pump in this case, but you will remove nearly all of the engine oil.