Yanmar 3QM30 zinc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Betts

Anyone know if there is a screw-in zinc located on the engine block, or elsewhere, on a Yanmar 3QM30 Diesel engine?

E

Ed Schenck

'F' model?

I'm thinking that the 'F' models, those with heat exchangers, did not have internal zincs. I know I cannot find any on my 2QM20. But I would call or write to Torresen(Link below) for the final word. I buy my annual parts kit from them and it comes with zincs. I have a pile of them on my workbench. :)

W

Walt G.

Yes, the 3QM30 does have zincs

I think there are a couple of them. But I know there's at least one on the fwd side of the engine behind a square plug, and I believe there's at least one other elsewhere as well. Unfortunately, I don't have my Yanmar manual handy, but should I get a chance to review it, I'll get you some details. I'd strongly suggest buying the 3QM30 service manual -- It's only about $30 and tells you everything you'd possibly need to know about that engine. Oldport Marine in Newport RI sold me mine, but I'm sure there available elsewhere.

G

Gene Gruender

Walt is correct

It seems to me that there is one inside the cast cover on the end of the head, in addition to the one he mentioned. The manual is a good thing to have, as well as the parts book. If you travel, say to the Bahamas, it's one of those "Don't leave home without it" deals. Seems to me that the heat exchanger also has one. It's an aftermarket item, so the manual won't cover it. Call Sendure (I think that is the spelling) to ask them. In the event you need a new heat exchanger, (Ours are all getting old)they can make one for you, cost is around $200 if you get it through Boat US special order. You can have a bigger, custom size one made (I did) to allow for blockage and other overheat problems. The extra cost over standard size is negligable.

E

Ed Schenck

Jack, what did you find?

Last evening I checked the Yanmar manual. As I stated in the original post, it shows a zinc for the raw water-cooled 3QM but none for the 'F' model. There are several engine cutaways including a large foldout for each engine. Some early non-F models were converted with a Rube Goldberg heat exchanger so would obviously have a zinc. The zinc was/is high and right as you face the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.